Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kan555

Will Bitter Melon make other plants Bitter?

kan555
11 years ago

Hi.. I just start planting bitter melon the first time. I put in it the same raised bed with other plants such as basil, cantaloupe, beans and tomato. I just talked to my asian friend and she told to plant bitter melon separately if I don't want other fruits and vegetables to get bitter taste. Is this true? Please help. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• buenaventura43
    11 years ago

Every year for 18 years I plant bitter melon onthe same bed with tomatoes, wing beans,and other vegetables . All the vegetables that are planted together with bitter melon did not become bitter in taste.

• kan555
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome. Thanks for the answer.

• soaht
    11 years ago

They won't make anything else around it bitter like jamesandfely said. Bitter melon/gourd is so good for eating and healthy, I don't know why more people don't plant or consume it. If you have diabetes or know some that does recommend this vegetable(technically a fruit) it is a good alternative to controlling your glucose level plus has lots of vitamins, fiber and minerals.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

I just started my bitter melon seeds and I'm hoping they germinate easily. I plan on having them in the same trellis with my luffas so I hope the bitterness doesn't rub off.

• soaht
    11 years ago

They should be fine, but occasionally you will get one that is bitter(luffa) tho and pretty much you can't do anything about it except not eating them assuming you are. Just eat them when they are young 6"-10". Any bigger and they become like your shower buddy ;)

• kan555
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all great info here. Now I'm interested in angled luffa. I would really really appreciated anyone who can share some seeds. I haven't had fresh one for more than a decade and would like my kids to experience it. I can paypal you for any trouble. Thanks in advance.

• soaht
    11 years ago

Kan555-
    I might have some let me ask my mom if she has some left over then i'll let you know.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/anluexlo.html

Angled luffa can be found pretty easily online. I believe this is probably the strain that I have, and they don't seem to ever get bitter unless they get over 30 inches in length for me.

Each plant also produces about 200 fruits per year so you don't have to plant that many. You just have to plant early up north due to a cooler season.

Here's a picture of one of mine from a couple days ago.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Bitterness, sweetness,...other taste characteristics is produced within the fruit as it developes and ripens. So it cannot go back into the soil.

• ncvgarden
    10 years ago

In my garden, luffa is the only veg turn bitter when growing close to bitter melon.

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

It can turn bitter on its own, but it also depends on the cultivator you get. The cultivator I have hardly ever gets bitter ones until they get really old and start making seeds.

Anyways my luffa vines have survived many frosts since they've been outdoors for 1 month, and they are somehow close to making it up to the trellis by now. I can expect some fruits to form by July if we get warm enough weather.

Sponsored