Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Vegetables out

Posted by rajiram ca (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 0:20

HI all,

I am new to vegetable growing. I have seeds started out. I live Bay area California. Our night time temperature is in 50s.

Can I plant snake gourd, guar out now.

Should I wait for night time temperature to raise for eggplant and Okra

Thanks
Raji

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Vegetables out

I think it's OK once soil temperatures get above 50F to plant gourds and melons.

I just planted my potted angled luffa plants today.

o

I would say: Go right ahead !

Ground temperature is normally over 60F.
If day temp is, say, 75 and night 50F, the ground temperature should be over 60F at night.

For warm weather crops( squashees, melons, egg plants, peppers, tomatoes) when night temps stay about 43F, it is ok, if day temps are over 63F.(roughly).
If night and day temps are slightly lower, the plants will just sit there and do nothing. in 30s might become cold stressed.

o

You can use some plastic mulch to warm the soil up a bit if you are afraid that the soil is too cold. My luffa seedlings seem to be thriving in the ground after 3 days.

o

Thank you all. Planted them a week ago.
Eggplants are growing with bigger.But my Okras are staying still doing nothing. I have to wait and see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here