Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eswar_gw

How to kill Ivy Gourd (Tindora-Donda) ?

eswar
13 years ago

How to kill Ivy gourd (tindora-Donda).

For several years I gave the roots at the end of season, October November to ever asked.

But come again April and May they asked for Ivy gourd plants again.

The plant did not die.They did not take care of them

Tindora ÂIvy gourd does not have a tap root. It got a fibrous bulbous root.

In winter months

Over watering kills the plant

Over watering kills the plant.

The plant metabolism slows down in winter. Its fertilizer and water requirements are minimal. The plant is in survival mode.

Ivy gourd is a tropical plant.

It needs sun light and temperature above 40 degrees.

If one keeps in a basement or garage with out any supplemental light and warmth, since the plant is in survival mode it will die. Keep it in a living area near a window or buy cheap grow plant light 8 dollars from wal- mart...

I have done all the above earlier. And killed few plants.

One will have stronger rand better roots to give to some one in July august.

Or one can get cuttings in June July period and get them rooted... One can use rooting hormone (6 dollars). Keep in shade forr10 days, Mist the leaves with water for a week and plant it out side when it shows new growth...

Or

One can have a reasonable success by rooting the cuttings in water. Later Keep it in pot for a week or so and plant them out side.

It needs phosphorous to produce fruits .Other wise one will have plenty of leaves,

But no fruits.

Comments (21)

• ladybug_la
    13 years ago

Eswar: Can u send me some plants? Most people who grew it in our area lost it this winter, which was pretty cold and long lasting for us.

Thanks,

Manjula

• priya_like_tropicals
    13 years ago

Hi Eswar...I am virginia...Get I get some branches/roots too!!

• lovegardening_2010
    13 years ago

Hi Eshwar,
    Can i get some Tindora roots please.

• harita
    13 years ago

I have been looking for these roots for long time. Can you send me some. I can pay postage. I really appreciate your help.

• harita
    13 years ago

I have been looking for these roots for long time. Can you send me some. I can pay postage. I really appreciate your help.You can reach me at sma3har@yahoo.com

• jyoada
    13 years ago

Hi Eshwar,

I am adding myself to the above list of people to get some roots , I live in CA and ready to pay postage. Thanks

• bhuvenkatesan
    13 years ago

i am interested in donda teega or root.
    i live at ash burn, va 20148.
    any help will be appreciated.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

This plant is against the law to ship to most southern states. Very dangerous to the native plants. Do not ship to any state unless you have permission from the state. It is a very serious crime to ship this plant. You can wind up in jail and have big fines if caught. Please do not ship.

Regarded as very invasive weed and is on the Hawaii State Noxious Weed List, Ivy gourd can grow up to four inches per day.Coccinia grows in dense blankets that shade other plants from sunlight and high-jacking nutrients. Native to tropical Africa and Asia, it was introduced to Hawai'i as a back yard food crop. It is sometimes tolerated along garden fences and other outdoor features because of its attractive white flowers. It has escaped to become a vigorous pest in Hawai'i, Florida, Australia, and Texas. In Hawai'i, this plant has spread quickly through Manoa Valley to Punchbowl and into Waimanalo, Oahu, and also into Kona area, Hawai'i. Ivy Gourd's environmental effects are that it smothers and forms a dense canopy killing vegitation underneath. (NMC Crees, 1997).

• chaman
    13 years ago

I Googled and found out that Coccinia grandis (Ivy gourd) is considered as noxious weed in Hawaii.It is illegal to grow Ivy gourd in Hawaii.Which are the Southern united states where Ivy gourd is illegal to grow?
    I had visited Florida a couple of years back and saw this plant growing in back yard gardens.
    Even a slight frost will kill this plant for ever in main land United States.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

This plant is against the law to ship to most southern states. Very dangerous to the native plants. Do not ship to any state unless you have permission from the state. It is a very serious crime to ship this plant. You can wind up in jail and have big fines if caught. Please do not ship.

Regarded as very invasive weed and is on the Hawaii State Noxious Weed List, Ivy gourd can grow up to four inches per day.Coccinia grows in dense blankets that shade other plants from sunlight and high-jacking nutrients. Native to tropical Africa and Asia, it was introduced to Hawai'i as a back yard food crop. It is sometimes tolerated along garden fences and other outdoor features because of its attractive white flowers. It has escaped to become a vigorous pest in Hawai'i, Florida, Australia, and Texas. In Hawai'i, this plant has spread quickly through Manoa Valley to Punchbowl and into Waimanalo, Oahu, and also into Kona area, Hawai'i. Ivy Gourd's environmental effects are that it smothers and forms a dense canopy killing vegitation underneath. (NMC Crees, 1997).

• vidyadevi
    13 years ago

Hi Eshwar,
    Can i get some Tindora roots please. I'll pay shipping.
    Thanks,
    Vidya

• teauteau
    13 years ago

The USDA Natural Resources Service Plants Database of Invasive and Noxious weeds only lists Coccinea grandis as a noxious and/or invasive weed for Hawai'i. I did not see it listed for Florida or Texas. I would check with the particular state I would be sending to, to make sure. Just contact that state's agriculture department to make sure.

• seedssun
    13 years ago

Hello,

please send me tindora plants...i will be growing indoor. I am in winter state.

Please send me other asian/indian seeds...we can exchange. Please email myids10@gmail.com

thanks

• shaili
    13 years ago

I would love to have tindora . please email at shaili.johri@gmail.com
    would be happy to defer costs.

shaili

• sreedevi_alla
    12 years ago

I would love to have tindora roots. If you have any can you please share them with me.
    You can email me at sreedevialla@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Sridevi

• sunagri
    12 years ago

We would be happy to supply tissue cultured tindora plants imported from India. Perform quicker and better than the root plants, and not free of cost. Please Write for further details to sunagri@gmail.com

• greenpema
    12 years ago

I have studied botany and done field collections in Central Fl and have never come across tindora. However, that doesnt mean that it could not be trouble. IN my area, the soil is very sandy. MOst things do not go too crazy. However, if you live near or in old swamp land, that plant may become another pest in FL. i want to grow it here at home.

• Lovingnature
    12 years ago

Please can I get some Ivy Gourd root stock. I live in NO.California.Thanks inadvance.
    Surya

• Preeta
    11 years ago

Hi Eshwar

Can I get tindora plant stems. I live in Atlanta Georgia. I can send you prepaid priority mail. Please send me your address if you have. My email id is preetamenon03@gmail.com
    Thanks

• Jyothi Kaza
    6 years ago
    Hi eswar do you have tindora root with you can I get it. Could you please email me jkaza21@gmail.com
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths