Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eibren

Overeating Raw Bok Choi Hospitalized Woman

eibren
13 years ago

This was in the NYT a day or so ago--sorry, I did not bring a link with me but it was in the Health section.

The woman had eaten a diet of raw Bok Choi for a long time (months?) and was hospitalized with some sort of thyroid failure. The article gave more detail...thought this might interest some of you.

Comments (7)

• digit
    13 years ago

Brassicas may cause hypothyroidism and are goitrogenic. All of them . . .

Farmers sometimes need to be advised not to put their livestock on a straight brassica diet.

It certainly seems odd that a person would do this by choice! Most adults eat about 2 pounds of food each day. It would really be best if it isn't ALL bok choy, turnips, cabbage, rutabagas, brussel sprouts, etc.

digitSteve

Here is a link that might be useful: Vital Signs

• eibren
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for finding the link.

Apparently she thought it would help her diabetes.

• yong
    13 years ago

According to TCM, she has the typical symptoms of yin excess imbalance caused by excess intake of cooling or yin food. Bok Choy is a cooling vegetables. 3 pounds of delicious Bok Choy is enough to feed our whole family a day. She should have try to balance the cooling effect with ginger, garlic, hot pepper, or even beef steak or stew.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

elbren - "Bok choy contains compounds called glucosinolates that have been found to inhibit thyroid function"

She suppressed her thyroid, ignored all the signs of thyroid underactivity, and went into a "myxedema coma" (coma caused by long-standing thyroid lack).

http://www.medicinenet.com/myxedema_coma/article.htm

• pmiggy
    13 years ago

The most important thing to realize about our bodies is that everything acts on the level of homeostasis, and that there are many series of feedback adjustments made on a molecular level that maintain our system. The very definition of pathology is the event in which one of these overpowers the other. Given this it should be obvious that a diet of anything in excess or deficit will result in problems. Too much vitamin A is toxic, too much protein overloads the kidneys, we need fat for membrane integrity and vitamin absorption but too much causes obesity and systemic diseases, excessive vit. C with subsequent normal levels of intake can induce Scurvy like symptoms.

Our culture really is not good at acknowledging the fact that we are herbivorous of complex dietary necessity, with diversity and moderate quantity being key. I blame Atkins,
    Powers, Eat for Your Blood Type and all the other hype that starts movements of nutritional neurosis without sound biomedical backing.

• instar8
    13 years ago

Does it matter if it's cooked? Not that i'd eat pounds of crucifers EVERY day...but i ate at least two pounds today!!!And yesterday.... I did add lots of fresh garlic, soy sauce and ginger, and hot-pepper jelly...and chicken and snow peas and mushrooms....

I guess it's all kinda self-limiting...i think i'll make meatballs tomorrow...

• hoodat
    13 years ago

You are always going to run into health problems when your diet is almost exclusively one thing alone. We need a balance of foods to stay healthy.

Sponsored