Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maspirasjr

scientific name for 2 Filipino vegetables

maspirasjr
19 years ago

Hi folks:

I'm trying to search for the scientific name of two vegetables from the Philippines. The first is called "bataw" and the second is called "sigadilyas". I suspect the two might be members of the Leguminosae (Fabaceae), especially the first, as the seeds came in a flattened pod. Maybe Violet or Rose-Marie (or anyone else) might know? Thanks for your help!

Marcelo

Comments (12)

• chaman
    19 years ago

Congratulation Violet.

chiman

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

? LOL....

Let's see if they're what Marcelo is looking for.

:)

• maspirasjr
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Violet, your wealth of info. and knowledge on Asian vegetables never ceases to amaze me. I don't know how you do it, but you always come up with the responses and they are always correct :-)!

These are indeed the vegetables. Thanks so much!

Marcelo

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

Glad to be able to help Marcelo. Will you be growing these in your garden or preparing them for dinner someday?

• Lalamtx24869
    19 years ago

The sigadilyas is a Winged Bean in English as posted by VoiletZ6. She is right. I think the other one is similar to Lima Beans.

• nuxindica
    19 years ago

the bean is also popular with Indians who know it as papri in Gujerati. It needs thorough cooking, and some help with seasoning.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

nuxindica,

Do you have a recipe or two that you can share?
    (or anyone else feel free as well)

;)

• Lizzz4_8
    18 years ago

hello everyone,
    I am new in this forum. I was reading through the tread and wishing someone might ask about this vegies.:-) thanks for posting about these vegies, these is my favorite veggies for sinigang :-) (pork or beef neck bones sour soup) I can't wait to get some seeds to share with my mom and try to plant.
    Thank you very much Marcelo and Violeta for finding the scientific name so we can order some seeds and try to plant them, and have a yummy dishes,, I have a couple of recipe for these veggies.

:-)

• rain1950
    18 years ago

As I spent almost my entire 4 years of Navy time in the Orient; I acquired a taste for the food; now I'm becoming interested in growing it. Reading about the Winged Bean prior to this; all parts of the plant are edible, even the roots. Sounds like a very valuable type of plant

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Do you have recipes Rain1950?

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

New to this forum... most varieties of Winged Bean (Psophocarpus tetragonolobus) are daylength-sensitive, and will not produce pods (or tubers) outside the tropics. There is a day-neutral variety sold by ECHO (a non-profit out of Florida), and one previously carried by J.L. Hudson. I will be trialing both this year in Zone 5, I'll let you know the results. Hyacinth bean (Lablab purpureus, or more commonly known as Dolichos lablab) should be eaten only after research into proper methods of preparation (many Filipinos know this), because some parts are toxic, especially the dry seeds.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?