Houzz Logo Print
priya_like_tropicals

Can we do foto roll call..whats growing..whats harvesting

I will post mine in few days..!!

Comments (6)

• digit
    13 years ago

{{gwi:385352}}

This was on a rainy day (like today) about a week ago.

Those are flats of peppers across the path between the 2 raised beds.

Thinnings from the Asian greens in the beds have been used for over a month. Also, starts were taken from the beds and transplanted into the open garden, on 2 different days.

A big harvest from this 9' by 20' plastic tunnel took place over the weekend. However, the first greens will be harvested from the open garden soon.

Other than the peppers, which are hardening off outdoors today, there are a some leaf lettuce plants and vines which aren't tall enuf to be seen. They will replace the greens thru the summer, after the plastic is pulled off.

The remainder is Asian greens. There are 4 types of bok choy, loose head and heading Chinese cabbage, and 2 varieties of oriental mustard.

Seed for Senposai, gai lan, and more bok choy went into the garden a few days ago, joining the transplants there.

digitSteve
    (Oh, and some of the peppers are Fushimi sweets. ;o)

• priya_like_tropicals
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome...looks very healthy...Happy gardening

• digit
    13 years ago

Thanks, Priya!

The only thing new this year is the LuLan bok choy. The twisted stem mustard, Kekkyu Takana from Kitazawa, had been absent a year or 2 and it is nice to have it back. It is a very healthy variety.

LuLan is from New Horizon Seed and couldn't be more tender! It seems to be giving Mei Qing some competition. After many years growning Mei Qing, I had never seen a bok choy that could really compare. We have to see how it performs in the open garden so the jury is still out but not for long.

If anyone has experience with LuLan, I'd like to know about it. I believe it is an OP variety. And, Priya_like_tropicals, I'm curious about your location.

digitS'

• catepelose
    13 years ago

Hi digit, Since you seem to be a bok choy expert... how do you feel about Da Cheong Chae... I tend to like bok choy with nice darkish green leaves and white stems. Have you grown this variety? Thank you!

• priya_like_tropicals
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Virginia!!

• digit
    13 years ago

Catepelose, I'm really no bok choi expert and what I know about Da Cheong Chae is only from reading my Johnny's catalog.

If it is an actual cross between bok choi and tatsoi I have some reluctance in trying it. Tatsoi seemed to have a real struggle in my open garden.

I kind of put up with the fact that Chinese cabbage needs to grow early under plastic in this climate but it would be better for me to have varieties that can grow inside and out.

As of the moment, the very cool outdoors here is proving to be adequate for the growing of my Asian greens. If we ever get another 80° day (it would be our 2nd for the year), I've got a huge bed of bok choi that would bolt into flower!!

Sorry, I can't be of more help on Da Cheong Chae.

Steve

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County