Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bitter melon juice improved

Posted by janoyan (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 10:02

Hi:
For those, like me, who find the bitter taste of the bitter melon juice somewhat over powering, here is a tip.
Add a tea spoon of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to a 1/2 cup of the bitter melon juice and notice the difference.
However, it has to be the Organice ACV and not the clear regular vinegar that is usually sold in the supernarkets, and do cost more.
I use the Bragg's Organic ACV. However they are not that easy to find. In Oregon the Roth Supermarkets carry them. Some Safeway store do also. They are sold on line for a little more money.
By the way, I have no financial connections with any of above mentioned business concerned.
Good luck
Janoyan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bitter melon juice improved

I wasn't planning to use my bitter melon for juice. Do you have suggesions for serving it in other ways, such as stir fried, curried or stuffed.

Jim

o

jimster -

I saute' a little garlic and onion in oil and then lightly fry up some diced bitter melon and mushrooms then add beaten eggs.

Variations include adding diced tomatoes, chilis and/or a bit of cheese.

This scambled egg, omelette - like dish is one I like for breakfast, before a day in the garden.

Nam

o

Jim:
There are many ways to use bitter melon in cooking.
Stir fry is one, combine it with union, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, season them and add the sauces of your choice.
I also stuff them. Cut horizontally, clean out the inside with a sharp knife and a tea spoon. Then stuff with similar combination as the stir fry recipe above , you may include some cooked rice, and even some chopped small pieces of the bitter melon in the combination. Line them up in a pan, pour a thick tomatoe sauce over them and in to the oven for about 45 minutes. I also add a few table spoons of water to the pan to keep it nice and moist while cookinbg.
If you are against the bitter taste, you may add some organic apple cider vinegar and perhaps some honey during the preperation.
Best of luck
Janoyan

o

I've been wanting to try bitter melon. Why do people eat it if theydont like the bitter taste?

o

Why do I eat hot peppers when it burns my mouth?

o

Thanks for the cooking suggestions, Nam and Janoyan.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here