Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Perilla Frutescens spacing and height?

californian
16 years ago

I have 18 Perilla Frutescens (the green variety) seedlings started. Does anyone know how far apart I should plant them and what the mature height will be and will they grow in clay soil? Would 18 plants be enough for a family of four?

Comments (13)

• californian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, this article answers part of my questions. Any tips fro growing it?

http://altnature.com/gallery/perilla.htm

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Exactly what are you wanting to use it for? The leaves or the grain?

• californian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mostly the leaves. I don't know how to get the oil out of the seeds, has anyone ever tried it? I would want maybe a handful of seeds though to start next years crop.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

That's a lot of leaves with 18 plants.

Can you be more specific in how you intend to use them? Do you plant on cooking them like spinach or wrapping fish, etc? "...it is currently regarded as unsafe to eat in quantity"

They get pretty big and are often considered a weed the second year due to self sowing. Mine got almost four feet tall.

• macaronicat
    16 years ago

Whoa, grow like weeds!

Thanks Violet, good thing I stopped by, I was going to plant my perilla seedlings into the ground this weekend. I'll grow them in a container now.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

macaronicat,

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind planting them in a container instead... it won't stop them from seeding. Only clipping the seed heads off and composting them would help. Feel free to direct sow into the ground if you have the space.

• macaronicat
    16 years ago

Violet,
    You are right, I was thinking about the roots that travels everywhere, like those horrible mints.
    Anyway, I am growing horseradish roots, they are just as bad I heard, but I have to try it once, fresh horseradish beats the jar stuff.

• californian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eight of the original 18 perilla plants are alive and growing very slowly in my garden now. The other ten plants died from salt burn as I left them in the small 2 3/4 inch pots too long and the salt from the Colorado River water we import into Orange County that I watered them with gradually built up and killed them.

• ashita
    16 years ago

I planted perilla ten years ago, and have never had to plant it since! It self seeds like absolute crazy! 18 plants sounds like a massive number to me!!!

ashita

• rockguy
    16 years ago

Besides using the leaves as a wrapper, when dried they make a great tea.

• Tiarella
    16 years ago

I had a volunteer in my woodland garden several years ago. I don't know where it came from, but it reseeds very, very well each year. However, it does provide blooms later in the year when most of the woodland plants have ceased flowering or have totally died back for the year.

• zorba_the_greek
    16 years ago

I'm in central Florida. Mine grew to about two feet high and did well on 18-inches between plants. Now it reseeds itself and I let it grow where I find it convenient. Zorba(at www.eattheweeds.com)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Hi my name is Jan, first time posting on Asian veg forum. Mine grew 6" then goes to seed, reseed. I just can't seem to make them grow but I really love the perilla leaves and would love to be able to grow here in SW Florida.
    Jan

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz