Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dill as a vegetable.

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 14:57

There was a family from India that lived in our small town for almost 20 years. We became acquaintences and later good friends, we supplied them with fresh produce from our large garden and in turn they supplied us with many delicious meals. They asked me to grow a large patch of dill for them to use as a vegetable. we became almost addicted to this it was delicious and not at all strong flavored. The family went back to India rather suddenly because of a death in the family and we never did get any recipes from them. Does anyone know how to prepare dill as a vegetable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dill as a vegetable.

• Posted by vml68 Columbus, OH (My Page) on
    Sat, May 14, 05 at 12:19

I have some recipes but they are all from different parts of India. Do you know what part of India they were from? If not,post their last name and we might be able to figure it out. Also, do you know what some of the other ingredients in the recipe were? It will help narrow down the search!

o

Their last name was Patel but I really don't know what the other ingredients were.

o

• Posted by vml68 Columbus, OH (My Page) on
    Sun, May 15, 05 at 11:16

The last name Patel is very common in the state of Gujarat in India. I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks. I have never tried it. Hope it is what you are looking for!
I am planning to grow some dill and will give it a try soon.

Ingredients :
Spinach 1/2 Bunch.
Fresh Dill 1/2 Bunch.
Onions small 1 Diced .
Potato 1 Diced.
Carrots small 1 Diced.
Peas 1/4 Cup.
Chana Dal 1/4 Cup
(or you can substitute yellow Split Peas).
Serrano Peper To Taste.
Ginger chopped 1 Tsp.
Salt To Taste.
Tumeric 1/2 Tsp.
Oil 1 Tbsp.
Water 1 Cup.

Seasoning :
Oil 1 Tbsp
Garlic 2 cloves.
Cayenne Powder To Taste.
Cumin powder To Taste.
Coriander Powder 2 tsp.

Method :
Soak the Split peas in water for an hour & drain.
Clean & chop all the vegetables. Heat Oil, put in all the vegetables, add water,salt & tumeric. Cook till done.
Heat the oil for the seasoning, then add the garlic. When it turns a light golden brown, add the rest of the spices. Let it sizzle for a couple of seconds and then immediately add it to the cooked vegetables. Season & adjust to taste.

o

Thanks, I'm sure that is either the one or close to it. Already I'm looking forward to it when the dill is big enough.

o

gandle,

Recipes for you...

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian recipes using Fresh Dill

o

i am a patel. we sometimes make dill dishes with lentils and eat them with our traditional flatbreads. delish :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here