Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direct sowing of Asian brassicas-when?

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 15:47

I'm trying a lot of new vegetables this year, many of them are leafy Asian greens of one type or another or saladlings. I started some inside and planted them out in April but have different ones on the way like garland chrysanthemum and flowering cabbage, gai lan, Chinese mustard, etc,

Our last frost was this week. What kind of things can I direct seed in mid-May and when does one leave off planting "cool season" vegetables due to oncoming temps (80's in June,-90's by July)? I want to avoid quick bolting. Do I have to wait until fall to plant . or do I still have time for spring planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direct sowing of Asian brassicas-when?

I think you should do it right now, for the reason that you mentioned (Bolting in hot summer).

I have direct sown arugula and bok choy more than a month ago, just around our last frost date. Bok choy was the first to germinte amongst half a dozen things that I sowed. Arugula was also close. Now my bok choys are about 7"tall and good salad size. But I want them for stir fry so I'll wait maybe another 10 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here