Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psoubhik

Germination of Chinese Okra and Biiter gourd

psoubhik
16 years ago

Hi All,

I am trying to germinate Chinese Okra and Bitter Gourd.

I have planted the seeds indoor (the temp is maintained at 70-75 degF). It had already been almost 2 weeks and I don't see any sign of germination from any of the seeds.

Does anyone grow these indoor or is it best to plant them outside when the outside temperature is always more than 60 degrees.

Here we are still having occassional 40/45 deg night temperature.

Regds,

Soubhik

Comments (23)

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Where did you get your seeds? When? How did you store them?

What growing medium are you using? Are you using a heating pad?

• psoubhik
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,

I got my seeds online from an Indian store a month back and stored them in a cool shady place (didn't open the seed packets). Opened the seed packets 2 weeks back and immediately planted them in Jiffy peat pellets (as per instruction soaked bitter gourd seeds in water for 24 hours before planting).
    No, I am not using a heating pad. They are inside the room , in the pellet box which contains around 20 pellets covered by the plastic lid (which came with the box).

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

What is the temperature of the room? or the soil temperature?

• sambandham
    16 years ago

Most likely they are old seeds more than three seasons back. chinese Okra and Bitter gourd usually sprout up in about 7 - 10 days. I had started many veggies including chinese okra and bittergourd just two weeks back and 90% of them came up in a weeks time, i will be transplanting them in my backyard this weekend. you may want to try another source for fresher seed or look in the trading forum to swap/trade seeds.
    goodluck

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

It's an assumption that the Indian store was selling old seeds. Let's assume the seeds are packed for 2007. Check the soil temp, it may be too cold.

• psoubhik
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks - I will look at the soil temp. My room temp where the pellets are kept is at 70-75 deg F.

• john90808
    16 years ago

I have never grown Chinese Okra before but with other okra, I usually get germination by the 8th day.......I would grow suspicious after two weeks if nothing happened.....perhaps soak some more seeds overnight and resow......what's the worse that can happen, extra okra plants? ;)

Good luck!

• sambandham
    16 years ago

that is true. it was an assumption but based on the fact that psoubhik said it was planted indoors and the room temperature was maintained from 70 -75. Even I had the same temp indoors(maintaining 70-75 degrees) and it came up within 10 days and so i ruled out the soil temp factor. maybe my assumption could be wrong. soubhik pl. tell us what was your soil temp or do you have the seeds near a window where it might be colder or maybe getting some cold drafts near your seeding area.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    16 years ago

Bitter gourd seeds can be slow to germinate... seed that I ordered online several years back (from Evergreen) was also slow & very erratic, and appeared to be old as Sambandham had suggested. The seed that I saved from those plants has performed much better; so if you are able to get some plants, try to let a few of the fruits ripen.

Gently nicking the narrow side of the seed (not the end) with a sharp blade, or rubbing some of the seed coat off with sand paper, gives faster & better germination, even without soaking.

Psoubhik, you might want to check a few of the pellets, to see if the seed has rotted. If it has, chances are that you will need to start again with fresh seed. Should you be unable to locate some, I have seed for several varieties, just contact me through my member page.

• luong
    16 years ago

This is the year I have good germination from Chinese okra seed. I got it from Sand Hill Preservation Center. Let me know if you need some.

• psoubhik
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks zeedman and luong for all your help.
    I will definitely let you know how it is going.
    I am first demanding a replacement of the old seeds that have not yet germinated from the Indian seed Shop - as advised I will also try nicking the narrow side of the bitter gourd seed with a file.

Thanks again.

Soubhik

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Or you can soak the seed overnight. I've never nicked the seeds and not had a problem with germination.

• happyday
    16 years ago

I planted okra 13 days ago, still no sign of a sprout, though the days have been 70-80 and nights average 60 degrees. Will okra seed rot in the soil the way bean seed does, if it doesn't germinate in two weeks?
    This year am trying all seeds dry seeded into the ground, no soaking. We have had rain and I did water the okra seeds a few times.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

This year am trying all seeds dry seeded into the ground, no soaking. We have had rain and I did water the okra seeds a few times.

Are you keeping the areas evenly moist 100 percent of the time until sprouting? Because if you allowed them to dry out at any time, you could have killed them.

• psoubhik
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All,

Thanks a lot for all your help in this thread.
    My Chinese Okras have all sprouted at last but none of my bitter gourds did germinate (till date). The key I think is to sow it directly in the soil outside after it warms up (min 80F day temp).
    I didn't have any problems regarding Okras - they all did sprout indoors but they are very sensitive and transplanting was not 100% success - so I planted the seeds out and they are also doing well.
    Here is a link if you want to see my Chinese Okra having the first set of true leaves.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2066545610034626989kHGvic

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

Okra loves hot weather and warm soil...It balks at cool temps and to okra..75 is cool...

• gray_2007
    16 years ago

I am not sure where else to post this. My chinese okra has germinated fine. I just can't seem to keep the blooms from being cut off. I used seven dust and it is still happening. Anyone have any ideas of what to do?

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

...I just can't seem to keep the blooms from being cut off

Do you mean being eaten off as opposed to a human coming along and "cutting" them?

Are you sure they're not simply falling off?

How long have the plants been blooming? A week? Two weeks? A month?

• gray_2007
    16 years ago

They have been blooming about 5 days. They may be falling off, but the stem appears to be cut. It isn't withered at all.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Where do you live? Is your garden in a fenced in area?

• gray_2007
    16 years ago

It is in a container on my deck. It gets plenty of sunlight. I live in Virginia Beach, Va. We have had some pretty hot, humid days. I guess they are just dropping off because of the heat. I have had the same problem with tomatoes. I haven't ever tried to grow chinese okra, it was a plant my Dad always grew when I was a kid.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Ah... I see. When the blossoms drop, they drop off the end of the stem with no evidence of the blossom. The "cut" look is normal.

Since your plants have only been blooming for five days, I'd wait another good week and a half before worrying about fruit set.

How "hot" is hot and humid? 100-105 degree day temps with 80-15 degree night temps?

• gray_2007
    16 years ago

Not quite that hot, thank goodness, we would all melt around here. It had been in the upper 90's with about 60-70% humidity during the day. At night it drops to around 80-85 with alittle less humidity. I did get some bloom booster. My Dad used to use it, hopefully that will work!

Sponsored