Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaaaaa_gardner

Murraya koenigii blooms!

aaaaaa_gardner
15 years ago

Hi,

My Murraya koenigii plant is just about 3ft tall, is in the container and is already blooming!! I bought it from Horizon Herbs last summer, it was 2 1/2 inches tall then. As per their catalog, tree grows to 18 feet. It is amazing to see the blooms in a small plant. It is organic -- could this be the reason? A far as I know it is extremely difficult plant to grow even in tropical/subtropical countries.

Thanks

a

Comments (35)

• krishi_2008 jasmin
    15 years ago

wow! Can you pls post a picture?

• aaaaaa_gardner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the pictures. Plant is 2 feet and 2 inches.

• neehadin
    15 years ago

i couldn`t see ur pics ..can u reupload them ..thanks

• aaaaaa_gardner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Let me see if I got it this time.
    Can you see it now?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• neehadin
    15 years ago

wowwww... nice plant ..

• indu_modali
    15 years ago

I have 4 of these in pots. They are 5 to 7 years old. This year as an experiment, I trimmed the branches one by one and changed soil and fed them miracle grow. To my surprise, all of them have several new branches with lots of leaves. I never get any babies. However the flowers start coming and they stunt the plant in my view. So I had to cut off all the blooms and leave just a few for seeds. Indu

• neehadin
    15 years ago

hey indu!!is it you?? u have 4 of them thats great..i baught a baby plant from one of my friends still 3 inches in height should see how long it takes to grow healthy..it`s surprising that u could maintain in washington especially with long winter.do u have any seeds now??

• indu_modali
    15 years ago

I left only one bunch of flowers on one of the plants(trees). If they mature and still there is summer, I don't mind letting you have them. However, I planted 3 babies in my garden directly in the ground for the summer this year. With my experience, I think it takes 3 years for a plant to mature to give you enough leaves to use. So I have 2 medium size plants 3 years old. I developed those over the years. When I plant the babies in the ground, I put a lot of good nutrient soil in the hole, before I plant the babies. This helps the plants to develop a strong root system. Around end of August or mid September, while the days are still warm, I transplant them back to a clean and bigger pot. I usually transplant them on a rainy day. I am very careful not to disturb the roots. I use very good soil. This way they grow to become trees in my house. I use a lot of curry leaves in my cooking. Neehadin please see if this is of any use to you.

Indu

• aaaaaa_gardner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I always thought growing curry leaf plant is a tough thing. Still, wanted to give it a try and was amazed the way my plant is growing. As mentioned before it is just 2 feet 2 inches --has blooms, very healthy with large and lengthy leaves and is also branching out. May be it depends on the variety apart from the soil and temp. There is no match to using fresh curry leaves from own yard in cooking.

• neehadin
    15 years ago

thanks indu..appreciate if u could share with me seeds when they mature..thanks in advance ..also i don`t mind paying for postage this time ..

• radical_gardener
    15 years ago

Indu, since you seems to know a lot abt curry leaf (having grown them for 7 years speaks a lot :) i had a question for you.

My curry leaf plant has been in the container for 4 years now and never I had any problems with it. In apr I saw the branches and the leaf has sticky subtance all over them. The leaf and branch also had tiny little insect that were also goopy to touch. I took it out in May and prunned all the branch that were infected hoping the new ones wouldn't have the problem. But the same prob still exists. What can I do to solve this?

any input from anyone would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Radhika

• aaaaaaaa
    15 years ago

Try spraying Neem oil (environment friendly). I normally do not use pesticide on veggies. Hope this helps you.

• indu_modali
    15 years ago

Radhika
    My curry leaf plants had the same problem. I took diluted neem oil and sprayed the plant thoroughly on a very bright sunny day. The next day I removed as much soil as possible from the pot. Then I trimmed the branches. I washed the plant with light warm water. I sprayed again neem oil. Then filled the pot with good light weight potting soil. I don't have any problems since then. Please see if this helps. Indu

• neehadin
    15 years ago

so do this curry leaf need direct sun r partial sun??i baught one from my friend nd one from nursery ..the one from nursery is good in sun but the one i baught from my friend is drooping nd the leafs r burning in direct sun..is this because of direct sun r any other problem??

• vidnand
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I just ordered my new curry plant from pctgardens.com. Could somebody tell me whether I should use a plastic container of terracotta(I personally prefer plastic so that I can move it easily). Also what size would be ideal. And the nursery person suggested to use Supersoil(from hoemdepot). Is this fine?

Thanks,
    Srividya

• indu_modali
    15 years ago

Srividya
    My experience is the following. I have 4 or 5 curry leaf trees in my house. I also have the next generation to be grown into trees in the next couple of years. Plastic is better in my view because during winter you can the move the planters easily. I live in the eastcoast where summers are not that long. I feed these heavily during the growing summer season. I mix the food in water and feed the trees. However, I keep picking my leaves constantly from bottom up. This way I prompt new growth. I do use light weight supersoil. I pinch my trees in the beginning of the season so that it promotes new branching. I hope this answers your concern. Indu Modali

• vidnand
    15 years ago

Hi Indu,
    Thank you so much for your response. I burnt my finger few times. Now after paying so much for this plant I donÂt want to burn my finger again.

Regard,

Srividya

• vidnand
    15 years ago

Hi Indu,
    Would you mind sending me a cutting of Curry leaves plant? I can pay for postage. Also I can send you the list of plants I have to trade. Sorry for the trouble. You can reach me @ vid_nand2002@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Srividya

• indu_modali
    15 years ago

Srividya
    Curryleaf plant cutting may not work. I never tried this. The reason I feel is curry leaves plant cutting wilts very easily. I live in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. If I get any extra seeds, I will send them to you. I will have enough to send to two people only. I already have another one waiting for these to mature. Curry leaf plant seeds should go into ground soon after they mature. Should not wait until they dry. I do not know whether California allows from other states to get green plant material to be shipped into that state. I will also send you an email soon. Indu

• mrtippu
    15 years ago

I recently got this curry leaf plant from my sister near LA. It was in her backyard and growing extremely well. It is about 2ft tall. I transplanted it into a large pot without disturbing the root system and added a full bag of potting soil. I moved to my home in Fremont (SF Bay area)

Since the transplant (4 days now), the plant has wilted and all the leaves have dropped. I don't want it to end up in my compost bin and disappoint my wife and kids (who helped with the move and transplant).

I watered it once (two days ago). I've not trimmed it. Don't know if I should.

Any suggestion in saving it would be very appreciated.

Thanks

• sri125
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I live in AZ and my 2 feet plant has now grown to over 9 feet.It has lots of seed, but I have not been able to grow new plants from these seeds. I tried planing them fresh after peeling the berries and also with stem cuttings. I have not seen any positive result thus far. I am trying to document my progress in a website. Any feedback appreciated...

Here is a link that might be useful: MyCurryLeafExperiment

• pvel
    15 years ago

hi, i am fascinated by this plant as it seems to be a bit challenging to grow and propagate. i have a couple of small plants that i received from a friend who has a large plant and she had new plants come up around the base of her plant.
    i also have a larger plant around 2 feet tall. i was excited this year to get blooms on my plant. these developed into green berries. i waited a couple of months till the berries looked ripe. then gently pried the fruit open with my fingernails.the seed inside is delicate and green. i planted the seeds immediately in packaged potting soil. after waiting between 2 and 4 weeks, i am happy to see a couple of small seedlings.they are very tiny with only 2 tiny leaves each. i hope they survive.
    i live in zone 7, so we do get some frost. i bring my plants indoors in the winter. they definitely could not tolerate frost.
    some internet nurseries(logees,bhatia) have plants for sale.
    paul

• gardeni
    15 years ago

I have had my curry leaf tree for a number of years (possibly 8). Every year, I loose the leaves in the winter and have to cut the tree back and every year from spring to summer it grows. So, at the end it is still only This year, I had a number of babies. Last year, my daughter ordered the seeds from Pacific Tropicals LLC in Hawaii. It was high quality and every one of them germinated. She sold most of them for a charity project. I kept some and so now I have about 1/2 doz plants. I usually keep them indoors for a year or two and then plant them outside.

I treat them like a citrus plant, meaning I use a citrus fertilizer. I believe it does not like too much direct sunshine. The plants with some sunshine and some shade has done better than the ones in complete sunshine. From experience, I do know that they do not like too much water. One time, it was being watered by a sprinkler from the lawn and it would not produce much leaves until I cut back on the water. Also, I pinch the top shoots from some branches so it gets bushy.

• balamay
    15 years ago

hi Sri,
    I saw your curry plant n your experiment , its just awsome!!! I too am in AZ, Phoenix, would like to know your further development, whether the plant propagation helped or not?
    Do respond
    Thanks

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Hi all

1-what is the purpose of this plant?
    Is it ornamental, flowering or for culinary use?

2- can it be grown outdoors in zone 8?

I use a lot of yellow root (turmeric).
    I wonder if Indian people mix turmeric with curry leaf to make curry power.

cyrus

• Pyewacket
    15 years ago

Culinary. The leaves are used in south indian cooking

There is no such thing as "curry powder". I know, I know, they package the stuff up and sell it, but there's no one way to season a curry. Cheap mixtures are heavy on the turmeric. There are any number of recipes for them, some are reasonably "authentic" (if you can call something that doesn't really exist authentic) and some are just weird.

Premixed curry powders are making inroads even in India these days as the society changes and more and more people are working outside the home (meaning women). "Curry powder" originated in the 19th century as an export.

The better premixes do contain bits of dried neem leaves, but the dried neem doesn't compare to the fresh, just as curry powder doesn't compare to an individualized masala.

I do use curry powder in a few dishes, but most of the things I cook I use my own masalas. If I ALWAYS used curry powder, everything would taste the same.

The link given in this thread to a nursery that carries neem is defunct, apparently the company has gone out of business, but I found the plant online at Logee's Tropical plants. You can't buy it out of Florida because there's a quarantine there, I used to have a link to a place that would sell you leaves by the pound but of course with the quarantine that isn't possible any more. Anyway the link to the plant at Logee's is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem tree at Logee's

• Pyewacket
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, and it says Zone 9 on the site. You could try it in zone 8, especially if you're on the warmer edge. It might make it with some protection. Also all the zones have changed what with global warming. I grew up in Zone 5 but it is now Zone 6, LOL!

• vidnand
    14 years ago

Hi Sri,
    I am looking for some curry plant seeds/or cuttings. Pls. lemme know if you are willing to share / trade some. I can pay S&H.

Thanks,
    Vidyaa

• padma_2009
    14 years ago

Hi Sri,

I live in AZ, Chandler. I got a 3 feet curry leaf plant from a friend but the container the plant was in did not have a water hole and so the plant started root rot. I noticed this only afte 3 weeks. I changed the pot but the plant has no leaves and is just the main stems. the base of of stem when pinched did look green from inside. So I still have some hope in it. Could u suggest something that I could do to make it put some roots and leaves on.. :)

I have some indian fruit and veggie garden in my backyard. I started my backyard 2/3 weeks ago.

Padma

• vidnand
    14 years ago

Hi Padma,
    Just leave it as is for now and water sparingly. It will show new growth either on top or at least from the base(roots). I had a small plant around 3 inches tall died few months back. I didn't loose hope on that and just kept water as usual. Suddenly a week back i saw new shoots from the bottom. So keep doing what you do normally and wait with patience.

Vidyaa

• jay-wpb
    14 years ago

Not to make light of your problems growing the curry leaf plant, but the thing just grows almost like a weed in Florida. Mine has numerous suckers(baby plants) which I have to yank out or cover in black plastic to keep down their growth. My frind has a huge plant and the seeds were maybe scattered by animals because the plants are now showing up in his neighbour's yard. The plant does not die easily - have some patience.

• poornisiva_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi,

I am new to gardening and have a curry leaf plant that about 10 inches tall that i got from a friend. In the late summer I potted it in a plastic self watering pot and it did not grow much. Then I repotted it in a huge clay pot with mixture of 1 part potting soil, 1 part top soil and 2 parts potting mix with magic grow. I moved it indoors right next to the patio door so that I can let in sunlight without the cold wind (kinda trying to give a glass house effect). It actually started sprouting. I water them whenever I see the soil on top very dry. But lately the leaves that are near the soil are starting to changes to yellow and started falling. I am worried if I am doing something wrong. We have also started putting on heater to keep it warm inside he apartment since it started snowing. I dont know how to take care of the curry leaves plant in this situation and I am worried since I dont want to lose it.

Please advice me how I can handle this situation in winter.

Thanks,
    Poorni

• seedssun
    13 years ago

Hello aaaaaa_gardner,

please send me some Murraya seeds.
    i can send you Muriga seeds and Dhondakayi seeds.
    thanks...

• ummh
    11 years ago

Hello everyone!
    I know this is a very old posting, however I'm looking for curry leaf seeds n this thread showed up. I have a curry leaf plant about 8 inches which is infested. I have no clue how that happened since I've been taking exceptionally good care of all my plants. I've tried all the stuff nothing seems to work. There's not much new growth on the plant n looks like its not gonna make it, hence I ordered a few expensive seeds and after much research I tried germinating them only to my disappointment. I swore to myself not to buy seeds which are viable. However I love growing from seeds so I don't want to buy a plant. Anyone having any extra seeds?? Please ...please let me know. I have seeds to trade...tomatoes, okra, govar/gavari, chowli, maple tree seeds (i have a couple growing already ). I live in chesterfield NJ. Thank you in advance.

• ummh
    11 years ago

Hello everyone!
    I know this is a very old posting, however I'm looking for curry leaf seeds n this thread showed up. I have a curry leaf plant about 8 inches which is infested. I have no clue how that happened since I've been taking exceptionally good care of all my plants. I've tried all the stuff nothing seems to work. There's not much new growth on the plant n looks like its not gonna make it, hence I ordered a few expensive seeds and after much research I tried germinating them only to my disappointment. I swore to myself not to buy seeds which are viable. However I love growing from seeds so I don't want to buy a plant. Anyone having any extra seeds?? Please ...please let me know. I have seeds to trade...tomatoes, okra, govar/gavari, chowli, maple tree seeds (i have a couple growing already ). I live in chesterfield NJ. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!