Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know what Vegetable / Herb this is?

Posted by lnewport Austin, Texas (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 16:09

My mother is Taiwanese and a friend of hers gave me some Vegetable or Herb this plant is? She gave me these as well as a baby Chinese Date (Jujube) Tree.

I don't see my mom's friend that often to ask.

102_3014

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know what Vegetable / Herb this is?

Its a herb. I don't know english name of it. We use these in making flower garlands.

o

Is it edible? If so any suggestions on how to cook it?

o

we never ate.

o

I finally got a hold of my mom and she said her mom use to cook and put it in sticky rice or rice flour with shrimp, turnip and garlic. Suppose to help lower cholesterol . *shrug* will be interesting.

o

I went to the Asian Super Market and found out that this is called Tung Ho or Edible Garland Chrysanthemum.

o

Hi, I'm usually a lurker here , but since my grandmother uses it occasionally, I am familiar with it. Your plant is not a Chrysanthemum but a type of Mugwort. The closest match seems to be Artemisia argyi. It is called 'ai-tsao' in Mandarin and the cakes made from it are called 'tsao-ah-kueh' in Taiwanese.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artemisa

o

Stanhopea: Yes! My mother said that it is used in some sort of cake made out of Rice flour. Thank You for the information you were most helpful.

o

I am from south western coast of India and I remember my mom and her friends / cousins using these leaves ( as well as marjoram and Artemisia pallens ) in making garlands. The leaves are similar to chrysanthemum leaves, but the fragrance is very different. The common name they used was 'manapatri' They also mentioned that it had some medicinal properties.

o

I've never seen a fresh chinese mugwort (saw the dried ones in stores). Thanks for sharing the link, stanhopea.

o

Excellent thread!

o
RE: Does anyone know what vegetable/herb this is?

It looks like the shungiku my mother grows, sometimes called "chop suey green". Good in sukiyaki and stir fries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here