Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Edamame

Posted by zachslc 5/6 UT (My Page) on
Sun, May 7, 06 at 16:21

I apologize for duplicity as I have already posted this on the "Asian Gardening" forum before I realized there was a forum specific to Asian vegetables.

I have never grown any kind of soybean before. I know that many soybean varieties are latitude sensitive. However, I have acquired "Tohya" seeds from the Botanical Interests brand and printed on the seed packet is: "Tohya is a short-season variety perfect for growing anywhere in North America...". Would I be better off to find a variety specifically suited for my latitude? I am at 40 N with very hot/dry summers.

Much Thanks!

Zach

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Edamame

Zach,

There are always many variables even from year to year in the same spot. Why not see which does best for you by planting both?

o
RE: Question about Edamame

Just finished the google search on "Tohya"; boy is Botanical Interests hyping this, same entry everywhere word-for-word... but I eventually found a favorable reference to it in a Canadian field trial, so it should do well for you. I will have to add this one to my soy trials for next year.

Most of the other popular edamame varieties ("Butterbean", "Shirofumi", "Shironomai", "Sayamusume") are Maturity Group I; "Envy" is a little faster in Group 0, and "Agate" faster still in Group 00. I have grown all of these in central Wisconsin, so you should have no trouble. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here