Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moringa plant leaves

Posted by rajiram ca 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 16:42

Hi all,
I am attaching my drumstick plant picture. Its leaves are turing yellow and kind curly leaves. Is it due to any fungus or nutrient problem
Thanks
Raji

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moringa plant leaves

• Posted by xman 7/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 15, 13 at 12:20

Raji,

Moringa's leaves turn yellow for 2 reason, 1) Soil too dry. 2) Soil too moist. Usually yellow leaves are caused by the 2nd reason. I have about 8 of these trees and I have seen that even a little extra water will cause the leaves to turn yellow and drop.

If you are sure that it is not any of the above 2 reasons, then check to see if you are providing correct nutrition, check pH level of the soil, etc.

As for the leaves curling, it could be caused by sucking insects, check for aphids, mites, or leaf miners.

xman

o

Thanks xman.
Could you tell what kind of fertilizer should I apply?
I don't see any insects in these plants.
In my second plant, weher leaves are fresh, new sprouting leaves are dropping off . Could that be due to over watering?
Raji

o

• Posted by xman 7/8 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 16, 13 at 12:34

Raji,

I checked my trees this morning and they have a few leaves that are curled or wrinkled little similar to yours.
So, if there are no insects then you do not have to worry too much about the leaves.

How is the soil to the touch? is it wet and soggy? Moringa prefer a little dry than wet, I have moringa survive days in extremely dry soil, but even a couple of days with excess water will cause yellow leaves and leaf drop.

If the leaves are dropping after turning yellow then it could be overwatering, but if green new leaves are dropping without turning yellow, then you have something biting the leaves. I have found small green catepillars on the leaves sometimes. These are really small and thin, so you have to look closely to find them. Since yours is a small plant look under every leaf.

As far as fertilization, you could use anything, I use fish emulsion and try to stay organic, since I eat the leaves. But a friend of mine uses miracle gro every 2 weeks and has had excellent results. Moringa loves compost rich soil, but be careful with watering as compost retains water.

xman

o

Xman,
Thanks for your suggestions.
They were cramped in a small pots. I moved them to bigger pots and added chicken manure. They were overwatered. So stopped watering them .

I don't see any insects. Anyway I sprayed some neem oil emulsion too.

Now I have to wait and see
Raji

o

Hi, Can I get some seeds? thanks - Vaibhav

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here