Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to plant Bok Choy in MN?

Posted by vjbakke 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 17:02

I planted Ching Chang Boc choy last month, now it is heating up ( days over 80) and they are starting to bolt. I'm in central MN zone 4, I think I should have waited and planted them in the fall. I've never planted in the fall so i don't know when would be a good time to try planting them again? The end of Aug? or should I just try it again next early spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to plant Bok Choy in MN?

I find a spring planting of bok choy or other Asian brassicas usually bolt unless I start the plants extremely early indoors, say late March, and get them into the garden before late April at the latest. Waiting longer I think just pretty much ensures bolting because the days are getting very long and temps are rising.

For fall planting, I start seeds generally around July 4th to mid-late July, transplant in August, and generally have only a few bolt out of the lot.

o

In my area I direct sow starting in the 3rd-4th week of July. I can sow later, say in early sept, for baby Boc choy.

o

I agree with denninmi, I planted early March and has bolted already. The lengthening days and additional day heat - along with cold night temps - causes the bok choy and other asian greens to bolt.

Continue to plant through the season in good soil and keep moist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here