Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best all-round squash/zuchinni or substitute??

Posted by castorp z9 FL (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 18:21

Hi,

Where I live it very difficult to grow regular summer squash and zuchinni. The summer humidity and the pickle worms do them in.

I am always looking for good substitutes, and because I have a small garden I'm looking for something very versitile.

I have read about various gourds (cucuzzi, edible bottle gourds) being used like squash; chayotes; and even green papayas.

I have been growing trombocini squash but this year they taste watery and mealy for some reason.

I'm looking for something with nice buttery texture and good flavor, but can stand up to humid subtropical climate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best all-round squash/zuchinni or substitute??

If you live as far south as I do most any Bush type squash won't make it as a moth lays eggs at the base of the plants and kills the plant. Tried once and got a couple before death. They say you can place blue foil around the base of the plant and they think it is the sky and won't land, but I have never tried this myself. Most any vine winter squash seems to do well. I enjoyed raising Butternut squash with no problems as well as acorn. If they take up too much room try staking them so that they grow up instead of out or just make sure you move them in the direction you would like them to grow. If you stake them and the fruit gets too big you may have to use pantyhose type supports, as with cantilope, etc.

o

It's six years after I first posted this, and I'm still looking for a good gourd, so I thought I'd bump this back up. Any suggestions?

I've tried smooth luffa, Tatumi (?), trombocini, cucuzzi, and maybe another type I can't remember. I haven't been satisfied with any of them, though Tatumi was probabably the best--before the pickle worms got them.

Thanks!

Bill

o

My personal favorite zucchini substitute is tromboncino, since it is resistant to most of the bugs & diseases that can strike zucchini. Just picked a bucket full today.

I think you already hit the nail on the head with chayote. It thrives in hot, humid climates where frost is late or non existent. It is also perennial, and will get stronger every year. Quite a space hog, but if you have already grown cucuzzi, you probably have room for it. It will do its best if given a permanent trellis. When I grew it in SoCal, I used a large horizontal trellis suspended 6 feet above the ground, with fencing to train the young vines to the top. The vines spread out & completely covered the trellis, making a nice arbor... and when the squash appeared, they hung down from the trellis & were easy to pick. You need at least two vines for good pollination. After several years, getting 100 squash per vine is not out of the question.

You might also want to consider another tropical, perennial squash - Malabar gourd (a.k.a. fig leaf gourd, shark fin melon). Look up "shark fin melon" on this forum, there is a very informative thread (link below). You can eat the immature squash like summer squash, or let them mature. They take up a lot of space, more than even the most rampant winter squashes I've grown... and if allowed to sprawl, probably more than any other vegetable. The vines can be trained to climb, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shark fin melon

This post was edited by zeedman on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 23:11

o

Zeedman, thanks so much! Those shark fin melons sound fantastic! I'm going to try them in the spring.

Bill

o

Try Magda, a Lebanese courgette which by some reports has "no squash bug problems":

Magda at Seeds of India

There are many Indian varieties of squash on that site that you might consider. Snake gourd, in particular, is supposed to be very resistant to squash vine borers.

Also, members of the Cucurbita moschata group are supposed to be resistant to squash vine borers. Like butternut squash, which allegedly recovers well even if infected.

Since the larvae overwinter in the soil, try soil sterilization - cover the area where you grew squash last year with clear plastic mulch and let the sun cook the bejeezus out of the little buggers. But the moths can still fly in from other areas. Still, rotation of squash plants and soil sterilization of last year's squash plot could cut down on the numbers.

The only sure-fire way to foil them seems to be using row covers.

I haven't been able to grow zucchini since they took my rotenone away, but I've read reports that spinosad and neem can be effective controls - but you have to spray the entire plant every 2 or 3 days.

o

• Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 20:57

Try long squash, The plant is easy to grow and is almost free from disease and insect attacks..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here