Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lali_gw

What to use for mulch?

lali
14 years ago

I just started my herb garden which consists of asian and non-asian herbs (rosemary, sweet basil, thai basil, lemon grass, etc). Using the square foot gardening method, I was able to get 16 different herbs in a 4' x 4' bed.

Anyway, being that I want my herb garden to be completely organic, what should I use for mulch? I have cedar bark for other parts of the garden, but not sure if this is "safe" for the herb garden. My herb garden gets all day sun, so hopefully the herbs will be ok and not fry out there. I water pretty frequently these days since the weather's been heating up (80-90 weather).

Do you use mulch in your herb gardens? If so, what do you use?

thanks,

lali

Comments (7)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

There is hardly any open space in my herb garden to be mulched. But if I had to mulch I would use something that will not not start composting and will blend into the soil.
    I think peat moss mixed with broken pine needle, straw, dry chopped tree leaves (No oak) should be good. For bigger areas I use new pine needle(collect my own). Another option would be very fine pine bark mulch that if mixed with soil won't be too chunky.

• lali
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just started by herb bed, so it's a little sparse right now. But as the herbs come in, I doubt I'll need to mulch. With the summer heat coming on (90s) I want to help keep the soil moist for them.

Thanks for the tip.

• ianna
    14 years ago

If you can get hold of hay, this would also be useful.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Lali,
    You planted lemon grass in your 4 by 4 herb garden, along with 15 other herbs? Hummmm!!!
    I think, from what I have heard, lemon grass alone will take up just abot a 2ft by 2 ft area(if not more) by itself. I have also planted lemon grass, but not in my HG, but in a BIG pot outside. It will also shade and take over smaller herbs.
    I would suggest that you transplant You LG in pot, before it gets too big.

• lali
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cyrus,

This is my first attempt at square foot gardening and giving it a shot. If the herbs overtake the area, then I can always move a few. As they are now, there's a lot of room between, but I can see them becoming crowded after some time. It also depends on how much of each herb you use to keep them in check.

I planted my lemon grass in a 1'x 2' spot, just to give it more space. I happen to use a lot of herbs in my cooking (mostly asian cooking), so the lemon grass doesn't get very big for me. In fact, it can't keep up with my culinary needs! I'm all about fresh herbs, so I'm constantly picking whatever my herb garden produces.

As for mulch, I'm currently using some dried grass (no chemicals of course!). Working all right, but what made a big difference for me is installing a drip system! Now the herbs get the moisture they need without me having to worry about watering them.

lali

• padma_2009
    14 years ago

Hi Lali,

Try using used coffee grounds (available free in all starbucks, etc.) as mulch for the herb garden. It does wonders for all plants. It is not messy and eventually blends in with soil and enriches it.. and it is organic and free.. :)

Padma

• saragw
    14 years ago

I was so in love w/gardening that I let everything just grow till they were almost in each other's "face". Then I realized that a good gardener is one who keeps the plants trimmed. It "pained me" at first, but then I saw that the result is good air circulation and less hiding places for bugs. What does that have to do w/mulching? Well, besides my kitchen scraps (veggies only), yes coffee grounds too, I put in not only grass clippings, but all the trimmings from the garden. My hubby used a piece of reclaimed "grid" wire, clipped it into a circle and stood it up. When that is filled to the top, just unclip and move to the next spot. We are very hopeful that beautiful mulch will be our reward!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area