Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woori_gw

What seed is this? ID Please

woori
19 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I lived in Malaysia for a few years and learnt to make Malaysia style Indian curries. There was a seed used which was tiny, round and cream coloured and smelled like aniseed when crushed. It was called something like Kus Kus by the Amah (housegirl) but it is not the Cous Cous we know which can be a substitute for mashed potatoes or whatever. It is not the seed from the Star Anise. Can anyone help me?

Woori

Comments (15)

• chaman
    19 years ago

I beleive they are Poppy Seeds and are known popularly as Khus Khus in India.

chiman

• woori
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Chaman, but aren't poppy seeds black? The ones I have used here are and much smaller than the seeds I am referring to. These seeds would probably be about the size of millet and the colour of sesame seeds. Perhaps it is a different type of poppy? Opium, maybe.. lol

• chaman
    19 years ago

Poppy seeds I have reffered to look like Amaranth seeds but much smaller than that.I have not seen Opium seeds and Opium is not used to prepare Indian style curries.I am not aware of black Poppy seeds.

chiman

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

There are different varieties of poppies and poppy seeds:

{{gwi:386055}}

"Indian and European poppy seeds vary greatly in appearance. Both are very tiny and light but the indian variety are ivory to beige and the European variety called Maw is dark grey. There is also a Turkish variety which is tobacco brown. Contrary to belief poppy seeds do not give you a high. When cooked they have a distinct nutty aroma. Their graininess is often used to give texture to indian dishes. "

From Poppy Seeds which has further information on use in curries, and other dishes in different countries.

• chaman
    19 years ago

Thanks Violet for information.

chiman

• woori
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Chaman and Violet. You could be on the right track with the poppy seed, but my question is still, 'does it smell like aniseed when crushed'? I might have mislead you by saying the Amah called it Kus Kus. She was unable to identify everything she used and would, when writing out a recipe, stick some seeds on the paper with tape, and say 1 teaspoon of that. Great help. :) I would go to the local grocer and show him and he would give me the required ingredient and I would still be none the wiser regarding the name of the said 'that'. The recipes worked well, though.

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

chiman & woori,

We all learn from eachother...

;)

Woori, if you go to the local grocer literally with a sampling of the spice, ask the grocer about it. Have them tell you everything they know. If they know it by a particular name in a certain language, sound it out and spell it in English here. Eventually, there is a good chance we'll figure out exactly what it is.

• woori
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Violet, I would love to do that, but unfortunately I don't have any here. That is what I would do in Malaysia. My particular grocer didn't want to deal very much with Australians and would wave me away when I asked for details of the ingredients. They had a system where you just showed something or pointed to something and handed over the money. Nothing was said. Something about honour, etc, in dealing with a white woman. I should have tried somewhere else, but obviously didn't think it worth the effort at the time.

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

Ah... I see. Do you need mail order sources?

• woori
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I will try to see what I can find locally first, thanks Violet. If it is poppy seeds, it shouldn't be too difficult to find some in our Asian Grocery stores. If not, I'll be back! Thanks for your help. :)

• zatil
    19 years ago

First, I don't think poppy seeds are used in curries. Anyway, poppy seeds are slightly flat but as flat sesame seeds.

Second, I think the seeds you are talking about is really tiny and round, its probably mustard seed.

I am not sure where you went in Malaysia to buy the spices but if you went to an Indian grocer it far more likely that they don't speak English very well vs. the "honor" or "dealing with a white woman" reason.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mustard seed Pix

• woori
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the input, Zatil. The grocer could actually speak very good English in fact. I was there for a few years and had some strange experiences with some of the locals and great experiences with others. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and loved the food. You could be right about the mustard seeds. It would make more sense to me so I will try some and see if they smell the same when crushed. The only ones I have seen so far are brown rather than cream in colour, but I'll have another look.

Woori

• zatil
    19 years ago

Good Luck!

• zambesi
    18 years ago

Hello Folks,
    You may try Cardomom seed,green is used extensively and on occassions black if available,but common in India. Alan.
    asmith2@tampabay.rr.com

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

I don't know that the would be good substitutes for each other zambesi. Cardomom seeds are much stronger and have a very different flavor than poppy seeds.