Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drcindy1

germinating winter melon seeds

drcindy
19 years ago

Hi all,

this is my first year at vegetable planting, asian or otherwise. Unfortunately, the seed package for my winter melon wasn't very specific in saying how long it takes seeds to germinate, how many to plant in one hole, how deep to plant, etc. It's been 1 1/2 weeks since I planted these seeds (I threw several into holes about 1" deep) and I haven't seen anything. Does anyone know how long it will take to germinate? Will I need to thin out the plants? Also, the weather here was cool and rainy for an entire week after I planted and the sun has just come out yesterday. I'm sure that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice.

Comments (7)

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

Sounds cool there unless you have a greenhouse or other methods where you can control the soil temperature. Unless it's a cool weather crop, just about all vegetable seeds will germinate within a week at 80 - 90 degree soil temperatures. This is how greenhouses who sell vegetable seedlings start their seeds.

Check out the Seed Starting Forum here at GardenWeb, they'll inform you of all you need to know about the topic:

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing from Seed

• barbara_in_la
    19 years ago

Ditto what Violet wrote... once the temps are warmer, the seeds will germinate. I had the same problem here in L.A. I planted the seeds (in pots) when we had a heatwave, and as soon as I placed the pots out to sit in the sun, the weather started to cool. It took a long while, but some of the seeds finally started to sprout. About a month ago, I potted up those seedlings into larger pots. In the past few days, I've found those same seeds which I planted about two months ago now sprouting, if that makes sense. It's been warming up here though... I hope this helps! Barbara

• drcindy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info. I just wasn't quite sure, because my long bean seeds sprouted in just a little over a week, even with the cool weather.

• mary10greenfingers
    18 years ago

The way I do it is to wrap some seeds in a clean damp wash cloth, and let the seeds germinate first. Open and rinse the cloth every day or two to make sure no molds grow, and to check for sprouting. Keep the rolled up washcloth (or paper towel) in a WARM spot and do not let it dry out. It takes about a week if it is warm enough. Then you can plant the pre-sprouted seeds in a pot and keep it warm and moist and under sunlight or flourescent light for a good 12 to 16 hours a day. (not 24 hours, since they need to "sleep") You do not need it to be as warm at night. Wait till the secondary leaves are about an inch diameter or when the weather is warm, and transplant very carefully without hurting the roots.

• mary10greenfingers
    18 years ago

....More to go with the last posting... I am in Upstate NY and I start my seeds around May 10. It takes a long growing season. Also, when potting the sprouted seeds, use 4 to 5 inch pots, and do not disturb the roots when transplanting.

• tamtamyoo
    13 years ago

I'm in Los Angeles and just planted some fresh Winter Melon seeds into a pot outdoors. The weather is about 70+ and will be for another week it seems. Is this too cool for the seeds? Is this too late in the season?

• Kiki H
    3 years ago

it's been 3 weeks for me trying to germinate these winter melon seeds. I don't know what's wrong, me or them. Kept them submerged in a paper-towel in warm water for a few days, then transferred the same wet paper-towel into an open ziplock baggie to sit on my directTV cable box (very warm) and now the outer coating is so soft I can peel it off with my nail. Still no sprout though. I think I might throw one in some soil and see what happens.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner