Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usha_gardener

How to grow arbi or chamadumpa

usha_gardener
13 years ago

I bought some chamadumpa (arbi). Since they were left in a pantry they started to grow roots. Can someone tell me how to grow them. Is the procedure similar to growing potatoes or is it different?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• eswar
    13 years ago

The procedure is the same whether you grow colacasia (chama dumpa)
    Ginger, white ginger(mamidi allam) or Kanda and pedalam.(available at large Mexican Korean grocery stores, slightly different stores diffrent species same genus)

Dig a hole 6 by 8 inches add 20% cow manure to the native soil.. I add a hand full of scotts organic lawn fertilizer.The soil needs to be loose. Some people add sand.
    Keep the soil loose.

Plant the tubers horizontally at 2-3 inches depth.
    Chama dumpa, kanda and pendalam need lots of water. Other wise they will itch(noti durada).If you are living in a colder climate dig them in winter..

In the place I live Alabama I leave them and they come back..
    The leaves of chama dupa are edible. All the above tubers got pretty ornamental leaves.

• usha_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your inputs Eshwar.

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

"kanda and pendalam need lots of water. Other wise they will itch(noti durada)."

Really good info here Eswar!

Thanks a bunch for sharing.

Would love to see some pics of your garden. What is growing in your yard this year?

Thanks in advance
    T

• ladybug_la
    12 years ago

So, when do you plant the chama and when are they ready to harvest? Do you just stick a piece of ginger root in the ground and they grow more root? How long to harvest?

• Anji2011
    12 years ago

I planted some store bought chamadumpalu 2 weeks ago and they are not coming up. I used the same (almost) preparation suggested by Easwar garu. Based on my previous experience with potato planting, I have sliced each dumpa into 2 pieces and made sure each piece has at least one "Eye" and planted. Is this slicing no no for chamadumpalu?

• Anji2011
    12 years ago

Hi trivedi_south garu, just to clarify (and for a laugh) the "noti durada" you are referring to is NOT the same as durada from these dumpalu. One's "Noti" durada cannot be cured by any amount of water.

• eswar
    12 years ago

you plant a whole tuber.There is noneed to slice a Chama dumpa. The same applies to chilpote. Bangalore vankaya or kattiri kaya.The one which looks like a green pear

• Anji2011
    12 years ago

Thanks Eswar garu. I dug up the place yesterday and found that all the sliced chama dumpalu have disintegrated and rotted. I am going to plant some whole tubers today and see what happens. In my area (Palmdale, CA) underground veggies (carot, potato, onion, etc.) do very well as well as almonds, cherries, pistachio, etc.

Sponsored