Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know what the Indian vegetable 'Lemon Gourd' is???

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 6:40

I picked up a small seedling of this at a local garden center. The staff person working in the vegetable area couldn't even tell me what it is. I hate that, but they can't know everything, especially if part time or seasonal.

The plant is clearly a variety of Cucumis melo based on leaves and flowers.

I have a suspicion that this may be the same thing as a "vine peach" but it's much too young yet, so far only has male flowers open. Time will tell as fruit develops. It certainly has the look of that plant, which I have grown before.

Any insight into this vegetable and its uses would be appreciated. Google turned up absolutely nothing except one recipe for "Lemon Gourd Kadi" which doesn't describe the vegetable. Most of the other results that pop up are really about bitter melon, and this plant is 100% NOT Momordica.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know what the Indian vegetable 'Lemon Gourd' is??

I think that what you have is known as Dosakaya or Dosakai. As far as I know, it is mainly used in cooking (curries, chutneys etc...).
Here is a link to it:

Here is a link that might be useful: dosakaya

o

Thank you, I hadn't even considered the possibility that it is just my old friend the "lemon cucumber". I've grown those in past years a few times.

I thought I had stumbled upon something really exotic here.

But it definitely seems to be it -- an online image search confirms that the foliage of this plant is identical to that on mine.

o

Thank you, I hadn't even considered the possibility that it is just my old friend the "lemon cucumber". I've grown those in past years a few times.

I thought I had stumbled upon something really exotic here.

But it definitely seems to be it -- an online image search confirms that the foliage of this plant is identical to that on mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here