Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Japanese plant label translation

trianglejohn
11 years ago

I need help translating this plant label from a tree I bought. I know it is a Yamamomo but I was wondering if it had a cultivar name or variety name and if the label states what the root stock was (it is grafted and the root stock is sprouting leaves that look different). All the other Yamamomo's died so was wondering about pollination. This species usually needs a male and female tree but some types will give both sexes of flowers. And if there is a better cultivar for cross pollination the next time I order trees.

Comments (4)

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the backside of the label.

The tree had a hand written tag on it with the name 'Zulko' which may have been 'Zuiko'.

• tzei_yang
    11 years ago

Here's what I got out of using online translators:

å±±ã¢ã¢ (yamamomo)
    Ã¥"Â種å (cultivar): çÂÂå (zuikou or zuiko)

ç"Âé¸ã£ã±ãÂÂå®Âã¯ç"Âé£Âç"¨ãÂÂã¸ã£ã ç­Âã«éÂÂå®Âã§ãÂÂãÂÂ
    The sweet and sour fruit is prized for eating raw, making jams, etc.
    樹å¢強ãÂÂæ ½å¹容æÂ"ã§ãÂÂãÂÂ
    The tree is vigorous and easy to grow.
    庭ã®çÂÂãÂÂã¿ã«ãÂÂé¢æ¤ÂãÂÂã«é¢ç½ãÂÂæÂÂå®Âã§ãÂÂãÂÂ
    Looks interesting fruiting in a garden corner or as a container plant.

è²ã¦æ¹ã®ãÂÂã¤ã³ãÂÂ
    Planting instructions:

庭æ¤ÂãÂÂã®場åÂÂ
    In-ground planting
    æÂ¥å½"ãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂè¯ãÂÂæ°´ã¯ãÂÂã®è¯ãÂÂæÂÂãªãÂÂÃ¥ÂÂ質ã¯é¸ã³ã¾ãÂÂãÂ"ãÂÂ
    Choose location according to ???
    æ¤ÂãÂÂç©´ãÂÂæÂÂãÂÂãÂÂèÂÂèÂÂÃ¥ÂÂã¨åÂÂã¨ãÂÂè¯ãÂÂæ··ãÂÂã¦æ¤ÂãÂÂè¾¼ãÂ"ã§水ãÂÂãÂÂã¤ã·ãÂÂã¨ãÂÂãÂÂã¦ä¸ÂãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂ
    Please dig a hole, mix in humus/compost, soil ???
    èÂ¥æÂÂã¯æÂ¥åÂÂã«1Ã¥ÂÂãÂÂå¤Âã»ç§ÂÃ¥ÂÂ1Ã¥ÂÂä½ÂãÂÂæ²¹ãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂÃ¥ÂÂå­¦èÂ¥æÂÂãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂã¾ãÂÂãÂÂ
    Fertilize with rapeseed oil cakes, chemical fertilizer (can't figure out the frequency).

é¢æ¤ÂãÂÂã®場åÂÂ
    Container planting
    6ãÂÂ7å·é¢ã«赤çÂÂÃ¥ÂÂ6ãÂÂèÂÂèÂÂÃ¥ÂÂ3ãÂÂç Â1ã®å²åÂÂã§æ¤ÂãÂÂè¾¼ãÂÂãÂÂ
    Use 6 parts number 6 or 7 Akadama (bonsai potting soil), 3 parts humus/compost, and 1 part sand.
    æ°´ãÂÂãÂÂã¯é¢åÂÂã®表é¢ãÂÂä¹¾ãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂç¨Â度ã§ãÂÂãÂÂãÂÂ
    Water when the surface is dry.
    èÂ¥æÂÂã¯çÂÂèÂ¥ãÂÂ3ãÂÂ4Ã¥ÂÂãÂÂæ¯Âå¹´æÂ¥åÂÂã¨å¤Âã«é¢ã®å¨ãÂÂã«åÂÂãÂÂè¾¼ãÂÂãÂÂ
    Every year, embed 3 to 4 pellets of bonsai fertilizer around the edge...

• tzei_yang
    11 years ago

Err, the post kind of messed up with the Japanese characters, but it's mostly there if you change your browser to UTF-8 encoding.

Anyway, the important thing is that the cultivar is Zuiko. They don't list the root stock on the label. From what's on other sites it might be a female plant.

If you scroll down on this page it seems to list different types of yamamomo cultivars. Google translated page puts Zuiko as the 4th on the list and that "[i]n the bayberry, the most popular varieties."

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tzei_yang - thanks so much for the links. I had no idea Google translation worked that way.

I assumed all of the trees I ordered were female. I had one tree grown from seed when I placed the order so I was hoping it was a male and would pollinate them. Now, all the trees except this 'Zuiko' have died, including the seed grown one. This one is doing fine but I noticed the root stock was sprouting leaves with a jagged edge that looked a bit different than the top growth. I'm thinking I'll just let one branch of the bottom growth get big enough to bloom along with the top.

I know that in China and Japan they don't have to worry about male trees because there are so many wild ones nearby. Here in the states not that many people grow the tree so it will be harder to find.

Thanks for all your help