Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parupudi_gw

Tips for better yield of Eggplants, Okra, Gongoora and Thotakoora

parupudi
15 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone share any tips (secrets) of promoting better yield for the Eggplants, Okra, Gongoora and Thotakoora?

Like for ex: for thotakoora, as the plant starts growing, they ask to snip the tiny leaves which will make the plant grow more and produce more leaves. Also, this way the plant will grow taller in case you need to get some seeds.

The same for Gongoora - snip of the leaves which branch out from the main stem and the plant will grow more.

How much water and light does these both need? I have my gongoora in full sun on the south side and I have my thotakoora in a pot.

Thanks

Pavani

Comments (2)

• neehadin
    15 years ago

hi paru pudi!!amarnath in pot will supress the growth of it.. in pot they grow upto certain extent only..this is my point of view..just a suggestion ..usually leafy vegetables needs partial sun..

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Parapudi, I have found that soil makeup and environmental conditions (sun, shade, moisture, temperature, humidity, climate, etc.) determine how well or poorly plants will grow. After these two elements comes variety/cultivar selection. e.g. some varieties are climate specific and may do better and produce more in a northern garden vs a southern garden (or vice versa), some produce well regardless, for some vegetables the hybrids may be more productive in your environment than the heirlooms (which happens to be the case for me on broccoli and cauliflower). So did you have a particular productivity problem with eggplant and okra? If so what varieties are you growing and what attributes are you noting?