Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nfriday_gw

Have question about germination?

nfriday
10 years ago

Hi- I live in the Chicago area, and it is supposed to get hot and stay hot for the next week, as in the 90's. I wanted to start some komatsuna , yukina savoy and tatsoi in my garden in the next few days. Will they germinate when it is this hot out? Will the red komatsuna survive without bolting when it gets in the 90's. I know that beans and green onions will germinate in hot weather like this, and lettuce and spinach won't, but I am wondering if the Asian greens will germinate if it is hot like this, or would I do better starting them inside and transplanting in a few weeks.? That is what I am planning on doing with the summer lettuce. Does the The first year I had my garden many years ago, we had 47 days where it was 90 or above, and it seemed like the beans and green onions are the only things I had good luck with germinating. I know corn will germinate when it is this hot too, but I planted corn one year and the raccoons eat 3/4 of it..

I am also going to plant some Japanese turnips too, but I will not plant it for another month, and hopefully it will not be as hot then. Thanks, Nancy

This post was edited by nfriday on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 13:20

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH