Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have question about germination?

Posted by nfriday 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 12:29

Hi- I live in the Chicago area, and it is supposed to get hot and stay hot for the next week, as in the 90's. I wanted to start some komatsuna , yukina savoy and tatsoi in my garden in the next few days. Will they germinate when it is this hot out? Will the red komatsuna survive without bolting when it gets in the 90's. I know that beans and green onions will germinate in hot weather like this, and lettuce and spinach won't, but I am wondering if the Asian greens will germinate if it is hot like this, or would I do better starting them inside and transplanting in a few weeks.? That is what I am planning on doing with the summer lettuce. Does the The first year I had my garden many years ago, we had 47 days where it was 90 or above, and it seemed like the beans and green onions are the only things I had good luck with germinating. I know corn will germinate when it is this hot too, but I planted corn one year and the raccoons eat 3/4 of it..

I am also going to plant some Japanese turnips too, but I will not plant it for another month, and hopefully it will not be as hot then. Thanks, Nancy

This post was edited by nfriday on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 13:20

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have question about germination?

You can cover them with straw, newspaper or provide shade. When the day's high gets into 90s,, first of all it is not going to be that way all day long. Secondly, the soil temperature is not going to get 90F, Unless its under direct sun for hours. So by covering,/mulching or providing shade the soil temperature should be fine for the seeds to germinate and most seeds will take longer than a week to germinate anyway. So you can sow your seeds but you have to also keep the soil moist all the time(Moist not too wet). That is where things like straw, shredded newspaper, tree leaves .. can help to maintain the moisture longer and prevent the soil from getting too hot.

Depending on the type of what you want to plant, you might be able to start and germinate them somewhere in the shade. You don't need light for germination. The after germination , you can transplant them into the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here