Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese eggplant just sitting there...!

Posted by violet_skies_ 5b S.Central WI (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 12:51

Hi, I planted some good size transplants of tomatoes and a (my first) Japanese eggplant about 3 weeks ago. Bought from the farmers market, nice and healthy. The tomatoes are showing good growth, but the Japanese eggplant plant is just sitting there. Not getting bigger, not getting smaller. Is it just waiting for hotter weather, or what? We're going to be in the mid to upper 80s for the next week, and all sun every day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese eggplant just sitting there...!

Yes. Most likely... since it is a tropical plant.

o

Eggplants want heat, even more so than tomatoes.

Keep an eye out for insects. They prefer eggplants.

Jim

o

My Japanese eggplant does the same. In my experience, it will pick up the growth when the weather is hot. I always have a lot of fruits on the plant later in the summer/fall. I have flea beatle problem on the eggplants.

o

Eggplants start to come in after the tomatoes here. I am growing Ichiban which always produces a lot and the plants are pretty healthy.

It is not a bad idea to put them in a tomato cage or stake them even though they are self-supporting plants it is good to support the fruit so they hang straight down, otherwise they tend to curl up at the ends.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here