Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gloriavictoria

Vietnamese Cilantro

gloriavictoria
18 years ago

Anyone growing Vietnamese Cilantro, and if so, how do you use it?

Comments (36)

• baci
    18 years ago

I am growing some culantro. I use mine in the soup Pho. I make a vegetarian version with a soup stock, Asian noodles, mung beans, & Thai basil leaves.

• KanakaNui
    18 years ago

I use it with garlic, ajis dulces, onions to make sofrito. I also use it as a replacement for regular cilantro as it's easier to grow in the heat than cilantro

• chaman
    18 years ago

Where can we buy Vietnamese Cilantro seeds ?

• yoyo75052
    18 years ago

Check an Asian market, they do sell veg. seed packages. Or seed trading here :).TT

• gloriavictoria
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Vietnamese cilantro has a wonderful scent and flavor and I have noticed that it does not "bolt" as regular cilantro does.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

GloriaVictoria,
    As mentioned above, use Vietnamese Cilantro in place of regular cilantro because it is much easier to grow than cilantro which is inherently short lived and prefers cooler temps.

As for seeds, it is rare to never that you will see seeds for this plant. It is propogated by root divisions and cuttings. Bring it in during the winter to have some to plant out for the following year.

• jun_
    18 years ago

is culantro the spiky leaved green herb used in pho? if so it reseeds itself generously in semi-shade. my mom planted one and it did not do too well, but the next year the yard was full of self-seeded plants.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Yes, culantro is used in pho. Culantro has a common name of "Mexican Cilantro". Really any of the following can be used in pho: Vietnamese Cilantro, Mexican Cilantro (aka culantro), or regular cilantro.

Culantro - Eryngium foetidum L., Apiaceae
    {{gwi:386487}}
    {{gwi:386489}}

Vietnamese Cilantro - Polygonum odoratum
    {{gwi:386490}}
    {{gwi:386489}}
    {{gwi:386491}}

• Eggo
    18 years ago

hey Violet, long time no see, glad to have you back on board.
    I grow both of these. Violet's right you will rarely see seeds of the Vietnamese cilantro, it does once in while produce tiny pink flowers. It does have a unique tastes and kind of hot tastes that last only a few seconds before fading, kinda like a super mild wasabe.
    Culantro seeds like crazy. It is very reminiscent of cilantro but for me doesn't have that pungent cilantro smell and tastes.

• baci
    18 years ago

The Vietnamese cilantro is a common herb at some Asian markets. I propagated mine from cuttings I found in the herb section of a Vietnamese market. I have seen a green & variegated variety. I paid 60 cents for a bunch  it was much cheaper than postage.

• jun_
    18 years ago

I think vietnamese cilantro grows in bog-like conditions. i've seen people grow them in pots without drainage holes. just stick cuttings in the wet dirt and they will root. very unique taste.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

It will grow in regular gardens but will thrive in moist soils and does well around ponds, etc.

• dvdgzmn
    18 years ago

And a warning to anyone who plans to grow Vietnamese cilantro. It's very invasive. It started to take over my herb garden in just a couple months. I pulled it all up and put some in a big pot, where it is doing badly. Guess I should move it to an undrained pot.

• baci
    18 years ago

Dvdgzmn, you might want to stick it in water & let its roots recover from being dug up. If you have an air pump & can add some oxygen to the roots that will help it even more. Remove all the dying leaves & cut off the top if it needs it. When it gets cooler & after it recovers you can slowly move it back to moist soil.
    I am going to make some sort of bog myself to place mine in. Soil is good for propagation, but the leaves on mature plants look healthier when in some sort of pond-like environment.

• dvdgzmn
    18 years ago

Thanks Baci. I did soak it a bit, but I think I could put this plant in a blender and pour it on the ground and it would take root. Don't know if you need bog-like conditions for it to thrive (if bog means totally saturated soil all the time). I had it in natural soil with lots of peat moss added (maybe 1/3 peat moss by volume). We had a fair amount of rain at the time, but I don't think you need standing water. It does like it wet, though. Some thyme growing near it died from some sort of root rot.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

dvdgzmn,

Not invasive at all for me. Depends on the environment. What type of environment is your herb garden? Hot? Moist? Dry? What type of soil? How often do you water? Etc.

• terri13th
    17 years ago

Can I use Vietnamese cilantro for salsa in place of reg. cilantro? Trouble is that I can never co-ordinate my cilantro w/bumper crop of tomatoes--cilantro always bolts well b/f tomatoes come in, so wanted to try the V. cilantro instead. Has anyone used it in salsa?

• digit
    17 years ago

Culantro doesn't get much use in our household - mostly used on fish as a change from the more usual dill.

Remember that cilantro can be used up until the white flowers form - only the stems get coarse. Except for volunteers, we plant LATE (end of May, first of June). That way it is still around when the early cherry tomatoes show up.

Cilantro may be used anytime in a salad or on top a bowl of noodles but, of course, it is wonderful in salsa. Cilantro is first wilted with green onions and tomatoes under the broiler, then the tomatoes is peeled and everything is beaten to a pulp with hot pepper in mortar with pestle.

A little salt . . . enjoy.

Steve

• terri13th
    17 years ago

Steve, or anyone, have you ever used the broader leaf, Vietnamese cilantro when making your salsa instead of the traditional cilantro?

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

terri13th,

Yes, they are all interchangeable.

:)

• tey157
    15 years ago

My wife uses it in chicken dishes. Or it can be used with Chicken Pho. Here's a picture of ours.

Who know's more about the Eryngium foetidum L., Apiaceae ?
    {{gwi:386492}}

• lali
    14 years ago

Baci,

I'm interested in growing Vietnamese herbs from cuttings since they're plentiful in the asian markets. How were you able to get Vietnamese cilantro to root?

Also, have you been able to successfully root any of the following from grocery store cuttings?
    - purple perilla
    - Rau Quế, Húng Quế (asian basil)

I don't have any experience growing seeds, so if I can grow from cuttings I would rather do that.

thanks,
    lali

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

What do they call it in Asian/Korean Markets??

I shop a lot in Asian Markets but I have not noticed
    seeing "Vietnames cilantro" or "culantro" or "Mexican Cilantro"'
    I will look closer the next time.

• ianna
    14 years ago

Richters Herbs sells all kinds of herbs. Here's a website http://www.richters.com

• lali
    14 years ago

Cyrus,

The asian grocer stores I go to only have the vietnamese names listed, never anything like "vietnamese cilantro" or "culantro". I should pay attention to the vietnamese wording next time I pickup some fresh herbs.

Lali

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Thank Lali

In my Asian market, which is mostly Korean/chinese, they have a big section for Asian vegetables and herbs. I am familiar with maybe 50% of them.
    If I get my hands on Vietnamese cilantro/culantro will try to root them and then plant them. Will they survive mild frost?
    In other words, are they perenials? or annuals?
    I have rooted some Thai basil and planted them. They are growing slowly now. Also I am growing chinese celery from rooting. I will let them bolt and seed for the next year.

cyrus

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    14 years ago

Lali, I have successfully rooted perilla by just sticking the stems from the grocery in the ground (clay soil). Only half of them rooted, but I am sure if done more properly than what I did, one would have 100% success. By fall, I had gotten a lot of seeds from the plants that rooted.

Cyrus, you're more likely to find culantro in a Southeast Asian market (Thai, Cambodian, Vietnamese, or Laotian) than a Chinese or Korean one.
    The way my mother grows them is growing them in a big pot. The soil line is half way down the pot and she covers it with a plastic bag to keep the humidity high. And they are not really frost hardy, but if you grow them in a pot, they would be more protected than out in the open ground and might survive year round for you.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Thanks lali and musaboru

Finally I spotted some culantro in an Asian market here, which is mostly Korean and chinese. BUT( a big one) there were just a few bunches that were very tired, tough and yellowed.
    I will check again to see if they bring more fresh ones.
    I am rooting red shiso in water now. I will stick a few of them in the ground to see what will happen. Shiso are very slow growing from seed. If roting works, it would be much better than bothring with seeds. So far I have grown Thai basil, lemon grass, Mint,and Chinese celery by rooting store-bough stock. So culantro is my next.

• lali
    14 years ago

musaboru,

I just picked up some herbs from my asian grocery store (chinese/vietnamese/thai store). I got fresh thai basil, purple perilla and vietnamese cilantro. They looked as if they were picked that day. I got a few stems from each bunch, stripped most of the larger leaves off (leaving a few smaller leaves), cut 1/4" of the bottom stems and put them in water. Is this the best way to get them to root? I still have a lot of other stems left in the bunch if I should try a different way. Should I try using rooting hormone and putting the cuttings directly in soil?

On another note, I got thai basil from a home store and now it's blooming, but not producing many leaves. The leaves are tiny! I read somewhere that once the basil starts flowering, that's the end of it's season? Is this true? (Sorry if off topic).

thanks,
    lali

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    14 years ago

That is a good start Lali. Wish you good luck with water rooting. I personally have not had too much luck with that, but some people have the magic touch for it.

In case that doesn't work, you could also try rooting in a little plastic pot with any ordinary potting soil. Keep soil moist, but not soggy wet. Rooting hormone would benefit, although it is not totally necessary. Place the pot in a bright and shady location (since you're in so cal too), but not in direct sunlight.

Once Thai basil starts flowering, you can pinch off the flower heads. Like deadheading any other plant. The ones I have survived all winter in a big pot. When spring came, they flowered immediatly. Now they are starting to grow leaves again. Although, these older plants are not vigorous compared to young plants grown from seed. So you can also let them flower and have them reseed (you will end up with more vigorous basil plants and can have multiple generations growing side by side).

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

lali
    I am of similar opinion as musaboru.
    When trying to root in water, change the water frequently.
    After a few days in water, plant some in pots, as musa said.
    I would mist them frequently while the soil is kept moist from mist dripping. I have experimented this method with Thai basil, mints, chines celery, lemon grass, red shiso. It works. The soil has an added advantage over plain water that it has some nutrients and also gets some oxigen as well. Do not use any soil with added nutrient.
    any normal garden soil(with good drainage) should do.

Good luck!

P.S. In zone 9 you should keep your cuttings in the shade with plenty of indirect ligh untill they show signs of growth.

• lali
    14 years ago

My vietnamese cilantro has roots! Woohoo! I'll try putting it in a pot with soil soon. I'm still waiting for the purple perilla and thai basil (from grocery store) to root. I've been changing the water every few days and put them in a window that gets indirect sunlight. The remaining leaves on the cuttings are still pretty healthy considering I got them from the grocery store about 2 weeks ago, so I'm pretty hopeful. :)

I'll try taking a few of the cuttings and putting them in soil. I have some organic potting mix that would do nicely.

thanks,
    lali

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Good news lali. So I can be hopeful.

I keep mine outdoors and it has been a bit chilly and rainy lately. In another week it will get warm again.
    Thai basils root better in soil than water. It seems that they need some food and air which there isn't any in water.
    My red shisos are fine in water but so far no roots. I have planted some in my herb garden and they look healthy. I will dig one out to see if they are rooting. I am also experimenting with rooting hormone.

• twothumbz
    14 years ago

Cilantro is used in many Vietnamese dishes such as pho, but one surprisingly nice usage is on pizza! maybe its just me but its delicious

• honolulululu
    14 years ago

The vietnamese name is Rau Ram. The picture above is excellent, because it shows the characteristic blackish "V" shape on the leaves. It was easy to find in Chinatown here, where many of the stalls are owned by Vietnamese. They didn't know any English names for it.

I put some stalks in a bowl of water and they sprouted roots in a few days. Then I planted and watered them, and they are growing quickly and easily.

I've used them in a Malaysian curried noodle soup called laksa recently and like them a lot.

Aloha,
    Alina

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm