Comments (5)

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Are you looking for specific ingredients? there are a ton of recips online:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim Chee Recipes

• ruth_12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually I was wondering if I could make it with red cabbage as that is what I am growing. I spend a fortune on my Kimchee addiction so feel I should make my own specially from home grown veg. Have not had success with growing Chinese cabbage last year was very tough and chewy.

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

It's usually made with Nappa Cabbage. Try growing your cabbage for fall. (So you may want to plant seeds now.)

Purple cabbage has a different texture and flavor - it is usually sweeter. So I don't recommend it for Kim Chee but it is certainly possible to use. Nappa Cabbage should be relatively common to find in most grocery stores if you have trouble growing it yourself.

• glamdolly
    17 years ago

Hey there. I know that there are around 200 different kinds of kimchi, and various ways to make each one.. I looked through all my cook books and tried to see if i could find one for you, but, i couldn't find one for red cabbage. :( they had a bunch for white headed cabbage (regular american cabbage), but that's it. i'd be happy to type those up for you if you like. :)

Here's a link, also, to a nice website.. http://www.lifeinkorea.com/Food/Food.cfm?Subject=kimchi

I know what you mean about having a big kimchi craving, though... I could eat (and have eaten) kimchi everyday... There's pepper kimchi (my favorite- made from korean chilis), carrot kimchi (different types), raddish kimchi (different types of raddish kimchi), mustard leaf kimchi, fish kimchi (pollock, flounder, cod, etc), green tomato kimchi, eggplant kimchi, asian pear kimchi, persimmon kimchi, there's stuffed squid kimchi, octopus kimchi, etc... i just couldn't find one with red cabbage, but i'll keep looking.

have you tried calling your local korean market?

all the best,
    ~ Candy

• oogy4plants
    17 years ago

I have made turnip kimchi for my Korean husband and he was ecstatic. Turnip greens grow really fast and I got 2 harvests from my spring turnip greens. I made 2 large kimchi jars full that are about a gallon each.

I got the recipe from my MIL and it was pretty easy to make, but there were no measurements.
    1. Wash well and dry the greens in the sun.
    2. Make a salt water broth to taste.
    3. Pack the greens into a jar and add some garlic, sliced ginger, and hot red peppers.
    4. Pour warm broth over veggies. Leave some room at top for gases.
    5. Add a little 7-up for sugar (I just added 1-2 tsp. sugar or ginger ale).
    6. Keep at room temp for 2 days and put in fridge. (It can also go straight in the fridge if you have a lot of it. It will ferment in there over time.)

Now is a good time to plant fall greens.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH