Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yardlong, Asparagus, Dow Gauk, etc. etc. Recommendation

Posted by grandad 9a Louisiana/Sunt28 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 14:42

I have been growing the dark green, black seeded asparagus beans (dow gauk/dau gok/etc.) and have been quite pleased with their productivity and taste. However, I'm thinking of possibly "experimenting" with other varieties next year, or maybe trying to get a few going this year. I note that the variety Akansanjaku is a sweet light green color with a red seed. Apparently it's a bit tenderer than the variety I now plant. Does anyone have any experience with this or other varieties? Is there a noticible taste difference from one variety to the next?

(The variety I now plant LOVES our Louisiana heat! I can almost see the beans grow. I have to pick twice a day for getting optimal size.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yardlong, Asparagus, Dow Gauk, etc. etc. Recommendation

Hi gradad,

I have some red noodle and some Martha Stewart (lighter green and and thick round) and the dark green (red seed).
Also I have some white bean seeds.

The dow gauk grows well here too and are the ones I grew up with. They are just started to fruit. I got 2 strands of the red noodle. The Martha S. ones taste a little different and my family didn't care for them.

I see you are just on the other side of the Texas border and quite a place to grow all those veggies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here