Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet_z6

2006? How 'Bout Some Pics?

Violet_Z6
17 years ago

Let's liven the forum up! How are your gardens growing and your Asian veggies?

If you have a digital camera, let's post pics so we can share and learn from each other...

Comments (26)

• barbara_in_la
    17 years ago

I guess I'll start... the only Asian veggie growing really well are my bitter melon plants. I started my seeds indoors kind of late, I think. Since we have a long growing season, I think I'll be okay in the long run. My melon seedlings are slowly growing, but I expect that to pick up as the days get warmer -- nothing to look at now...

Here's my bitter melon plants:
    {{gwi:386557}}

And the first bitter melon I hand-pollinated earlier today:
    {{gwi:386558}}

Looking forward to seeing your Asian veggies...

Barbara

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aw, cute! You're way ahead of me. My bitter melon only have their first two leaves! Please post more as the season progresses.

• barbara_in_la
    17 years ago

Hi, Violet!

I'll do that. How about pictures from your garden? I'd love to see that!

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't own a digital camera barbara...

• barbara_in_la
    17 years ago

Here's my bitter melon as of today:
    {{gwi:386559}}

Not too sure why it's growing fat instead of long as this second baby melon is doing:
    {{gwi:386560}}

Two cherry tomatoes:
    {{gwi:386561}}

Winter melon plants:
    {{gwi:386562}}

Delica (white container) and another winter melon(yellow container):
    {{gwi:386563}}

It's been over 90 degrees this past week -- really hot and humid. Everything seems to be taking off and growing well. Hope everyone's gardens are growing wonderfully, too!

Barb

• cyumickey
    17 years ago

Nice Barb! I took some pics this morning of my first eggplant! :) Left the camera at home so I'll have to post them later...

• gianteggplant
    17 years ago

Barbara, my black cherry tomato looks exactly the same as yours. My winter melons are little further ahead, about 6 ft now, and producing secondaries. No bitter melon this year. Sorry but unable to upload pics.
    Cyumickey, do you know how to get the eggplant seeds to germinate for sure? This is my first year growing them. I was given some giant eggplant seeds from Bernard Lavery and was unable to get them to do anything. The same goes for my cloud nine. I think I have high enough temperature here (over 85 degree). TIA

• cyumickey
    17 years ago

gianteggplant...I love your name!

sorry, I couldn't tell you about the seeds b/c I cheated and bought my plants at Home Depot...

I started my garden late this year, so the only thing I am growing from seeds are kabocha and swiss chard (and that was a challenge...I only have 3 plants out of all those seeds I sowed (would have had 4 but tried to transplant one and...splat).

• cyumickey
    17 years ago

ok, finally got the pics on the computer:

from this morning:

eggplant!
    {{gwi:386564}}

the lone cuke:
    {{gwi:386566}}

garden (I had no idea they would grow so big!)
    {{gwi:386568}}
    hmm, guess that doesn't really show how full the eggplant plants are, and the kabocha leaf that threatens to smother one of my eggplant plants...

not an asian veggie, but look! my swiss chard actually LOOKS like swiss chard! amazing...
    {{gwi:386569}}

crystal

• dirt_dew
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures, looking good.

• cyumickey
    17 years ago

I picked my first 2 eggplants this morning!!! picked that cuke the other day...

yippee! another cuke is growing, too...and I'll be able to pick a few more eggplant in a couple of days!!!

sorry, couldn't contain my excitement...

• sienna
    17 years ago

Here is My garden
    {{gwi:386570}}

Yard long beans
    {{gwi:386571}}
    Another..
    {{gwi:386572}}

Cucuzzi
    {{gwi:386573}}

Snake Gourd
    {{gwi:386574}}

snake gourd and Bitter Melon
    {{gwi:386575}}

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fabulous sienna!

Love your criss-cross trellis! Thanks for sharing!

• barbara_mel
    17 years ago

Wow Thank you for the pics of the yard long beans. I always wondered how they looked close up. They look like black eye pea pods but much longer. Do the seed look like black eye pea seeds? I am not sure how they taste but I do plan to grow them next year after learning so much about them on this forum. I am impressed. Even the leaves are pretty.
    love looking at all the pics. Tried to add a couple of pic but not sure how yet. I am new to this forum. I am sure I will figure it out.
    Mel

• jimster
    17 years ago

You have a good eye, Mel. Yard long beans and black eye peas (as well as other cow peas) both are in the genus Vigna. Common beans are Phaseolus.

Jim

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mel,

There is a Garden Gallery here at GardenWeb you can use here .

Or you can use free services such as ImageShack.

To confirm Jim's statements, they are in the cow pea family. I have given away many seedlings and everyone always comes back a few months later to tell me how fabulous Asian Yard Long Beans are in regards to flavor no matter how they're cooked, pickled, or canned, and the joy of seeing them grow when common garden green beans have long since stopped producing. There are many different varieties and colors of beans and seeds. Just do a simple search of seed companies and you'll find them.

• barbara_mel
    17 years ago

Thank you all for your help.
    Mel

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sienna,

What variety of bitter melon are you growing and where did you get the seeds?

Here is a pic of my bittermelon, long beans, large tomato and a couple of jalapenos.

{{gwi:386576}}

• bibik
    17 years ago

Since joining this forum a month ago, I have learnt so much about growing Asian veggies in the US, it's unbelieveable and so encouraging. Living in an apartment does have some hurdles but... when there's a will, there's a way. Well, I got started:

my 3-week-old Asian eggplant
    {{gwi:386577}}
    3-week-old Yardbean
    {{gwi:386578}}

Also have seedlings of pepper plants, chives, Chinese cabbages, etc little pots and trows. Looking at some of the pics which other members have submitted, I'm even more hopeful of a small harvest. (keeping my fingers Xed)

bibik - happy novice apartment gardener

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great start bibik! Do you have grow lights on those beans? How many Asian vegetable plants do you have inside? They're going to need sunlight in order to produce to their optimum potential...

• bibik
    17 years ago

No grow lights but they are right now in the sun-room corner and the room gets 4hrs of morning sun in the summer. Now that you've mentioned their need for sunlight, maybe I'll move them outside this weekend. I happen to live on the ground level but am not allowed to plant things into the condo ground. Strange but true.

I've got 2 pots & 6 trows of 7 different veggie seedlings indoors right now + a tomato (with buds) & 2 pots of lemon grass outdoors.

BTW, I managed a swap for curry-leaf seeds via the exchange here and even those are sprouting!

my 3-week old curryleaf seedlings
    {{gwi:386579}}

Now even my husband is helping to check soil moisture. :)

• sienna
    17 years ago

Violet,
    All of them are Indian variety.
    I got it from friends and family.
    I can send you some, If you are interested.
    They are also available at evergreenseeds.com.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Bitter Melon

• chaman
    17 years ago

Here are some pics. from my garden to be shared with you.

{{gwi:386581}}

{{gwi:386583}}

{{gwi:386586}}

• piksi_hk
    17 years ago

Is the last picture a bitter melon?

• chaman
    17 years ago

pilski,
    Yes, last picture is of Bitter melon,one above that
    (pic. in the middle)is Tindora or Ivy gourd and top one is of Bitter melon.
    I should have captioned the pics. in the earlier posting.

• starbird
    17 years ago

Have two pics to share. Both are fuzzy squash.

{{gwi:386587}}

{{gwi:386588}}

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!