Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neehadin

2008 garden

neehadin
15 years ago

Hi!!

i am starting this thread to know all kinds of vegetables grown in ur garden for this year and so far harvested also posting of photos r welcome ..

i am growing amarnath,spinach,chikkudi kai,bottle guard, tomatoes ,ridge guard,bittermelon,gongura,okra,drumstick nd capsicum.. so far i could only harvest amarnath,chillies

Comments (8)

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Asparagus beans/yardlong beans/dow gauk/etc. (background) & Ichiban eggplant (far right) shown in picture below..

{{gwi:386630}}

• lzyjo
    15 years ago

WOW! Incredible eggplants! Your garden is tremendously beautiful!

• neehadin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah it is a lovely garden and well organised..do use any specific fertiliser for the plants?

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments folks.. nothing special on the fertilizer, just plain 13-13-13 or (if I have it) 34-0-0 lawn and garden fetilizer. I only apply if the plants leaves begin to turn from green to yellowish green.

• jimster
    15 years ago

It looks like you have two varieties of eggplant, Ichiban and something else. What is the other one?

Do Colorado Potato beetles attack your eggplants? Here it is their favorite food and will decimate eggplants if not controlled.

Jim

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Jim, the short answer to your question is I don't know. The long answer is a bit of a story.. Last year I purchased a Burpee variety packet showing 4 varieties of eggplant. These were a trial to add to my proven Rosita and Ichiban. One of these trial plants produced an eggplant that did not match anything on the seed packet picture. Clearly it was a substitute. It resembled Ping Tung and produced so well that I decided to let 2 eggplants go to seed and give them a run this year. What you see in the foreground are those plants. They seem to have produced fairly close to what I had last year. Although, there is a bit of variability from one plant to the next - basically some are a bit darker than the others. I don't plan on keeping any seeds from these plants but I definitely will plant some of last years seeds again next year. (By the way, there are 8 or 9 Rosita plants not visible in the picture. These are at the other end of the eggplant row.)

Regarding the Colorado Potato beetle question, I don't have too much of a problem with this pest. I actually had to remind myself what these looked like. (See link below.) However, I do have a problem with the flea beatles and spider mites. If I treat the flea beatles with Sevin then the spider mites tend to get out of control. I have found that spider mite control to be blasting the underside of the leaves with a hose nozzel and/or spraying with a soap solution to be the best control... After a while the spider mite problems seem to eventually subside.. which happens to be the case now. (I guess for now I'm winning the battle.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant Fact Sheet from OSU

• neehadin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there!! my tomatoes nd pepper plants suddenly seem to loose plants when i saw them in the morning and by evening i saw no single leaf on the plant ..and i observed this filty larvae making fiesta on the plants..i sprayed insect killer but no use..finally i got irritated nd cut it with shears..wat is the precaution to get rid of these nasty worms??check the link
    http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/tomato.htm

• grandad_2003
    15 years ago

Neehadin, you may want to post this on the Vegetable Gardening forum and get a few "opinions". I don't usually have the hornworms but I recall hand picking and using BT as the best control measures..

Sponsored