Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolala_gw

Amaranth

wolala
16 years ago

I want to transplant some amaranth young plants which I started from seeds. I have two spots in my garden I intend to use. One spot is very sunny. It gets full sun from morning till 4 or 5 in the afternoon. The other spot get about 2 or 3 hours of afternoon sun only. Does anybody grow amaranth before? Which spot is a better suit? Thanks

Comments (11)

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Sunny is better for amaranth

Yes I have grown it we are growing some this year too we are growing red amaranth that is very red almost purple.

• wolala
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks kubotabx 2200. I'm growing the same type. Finger cross for a good harvest.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Are you harvesting for the grain?

• olympia_gardener
    16 years ago

I think sunny spot is better. I have never had success transplant amaranthus. I sow seeds directly in the garden. This year I grow two types amarnathus, one for the leaf, red leaf and one for the grain, the golden giant. I always grow it for the leave in the past, but I want to try the grain. I read somewhere that its grain is full of nutrition.

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

How do you all use the amaranth....I keep seeing seed for sale but don't know how it is used...

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

My wife cooks the leaves like spinach in soups or adds it to a salad for some color. Like you would use spinach or salad greens except its red. Never used it as grain though, we dig it up by the time it bolts. It adds color to the garden too, like red perilla.

• wolala
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will harvest the whole plant. I usually stir fry them with garlice and oil and put in extra water for soup. When it is almost done, I break up two salted egg york and add them to the soup.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

I grew a red variety on the east side of the house. It got over 4 feet tall with only morning sun. Pretty hardy plant.

• Eggo
    16 years ago

Can the red amaranth be used like veggie just like the green ones? Any differences in tastes? They do look nicer in the yard. =)

• nan123
    16 years ago

I grow red and green (yellowish green, also called white amaranth). They make a beautiful flowerbed:

{{gwi:386633}}

I saw seeds diretly in the ground and I have no prolem to transplant the seedlings into a different spots and arrange them in the pattern that I want.

I want to keep them as long as possible. I nip off the top (otherwise, they will bolt and grow too tall). New ones will grow from the side.

I stir fry them with garlic. The red one tastes betther than the green one.

• jcarver
    13 years ago

I bought Amaranth Molten Fire seeds (from Livingstone Seed Co.) and the photo on the pack looks exactly like what I want. I started them in pots, and got a ton of seedlings which I thinned. A few green seedlings got tall the fastest, and I planted them -- they're doing well. Now I see that the reddish/purple seedlings are getting big enough to plant, but I'm out of space to put them. Did I make a mistake planting the green ones? Will they ever produce the brilliant red color I want? Maybe just the purple seedlings will result in that? If so, I'll pull out the green ones and put in the purple ones. I hope someone can confirm if the heartier green sprouts I planted will turn red by the end-of-summer. Thanks, Jan

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville