Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curry plant from dry seed

Posted by elda_erika 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 18:12

I am new at gardening and I'm enjoying it a lot. I started with herbs and my plants are growing fast and strong. After all my successes I got excited and I purchased Curry plant seeds (Murraya koenigii) They came dry, the instructions said that I had to plant them in soil (either in a pot or directly in the garden where I wanted them to grow) at 3/4 inch deep. In a sunny spot or if in a pot, under lights. And it said that it takes 6 to 8 weeks to germinate.

I planted about 6 in my window still indoors and other 6 under lights. After 6 weeks I grew impatient and dug out one of the seeds I had in my window still and nothing, the seed was wet, but not puffy or anything. I did the same with the one under lights. The seeds looked exactly the same as dry, but wet. It's been 8 weeks now and I dug out another seed, and it was the same as before.

Has any of you had any success at growing Murraya koenigii from seed?? Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curry plant from dry seed

Where did you get the seeds from?

o
more

Also, it seems the viability for this seed is short lived, so start from very fresh seeds or go with cuttings or seedlings instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Murraya Konegii From Seed

o

I have posted some information about how to germinate Curry plant(Mrraya Koenigii) seeds. Please search my postings by entering chaman in GW search engine and go thru threads for Murraya koeniggii or curry plant. You will get many pstings from fellow gardeners on these threads.

o

miracleplants:
It is easier to grow the plants from green seeds just before they start ripening.Pick up some seeds, remove the green seed cover carefully by sharp blade or knife and plant it,preferably in the pot and maintain the temperature at about 80 degrees F.Seeds will germinate in about 3 weeks.If you have indoor kind plants you can sow the seeds in these pots. Seeds will germinate in little more than 3 weeks. Success rate is almost 100%.
In about 2 years plant will be about one foot tall.
What you are talking about as shoots from the roots are called suckers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here