Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pak choi is bolting

Posted by mamabear2 z4/5Bk HillsSD (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 21:08

help!! I can't believe it. My Pak choi is already bolting. I went out and cut all of the blossoms off and trimmed some of the larger leaves to try and eat. Is this like lettuce. Will it be bitter after it bolts. I hate to pull it all if I can get some more harvests out of it. But I don't want to leave it in the garden if it is done for.

This is my first time growing it and we've only had a couple of meals out of it.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks. Pam in the Black Hills.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pak choi is bolting

Exactly what variety is it? Where did you get it from? There are many, many varieties with different growing habits.

o

• Posted by billme 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 22:19

You can use it as a cut-and-come-again crop but it will get increasingly tough and bitter. In my market garden I usually harvest the bolted flowers as a garnish or as an addition to salads, but your best bet is to plant small amounts frequently to harvest young and tender.

o

I used a package of seeds from Lake Valley Seeds. It says Pak Choi Cabbage, Chinese Mustard (50 days). Can I save the seeds to grow again? Thanks for your advice. This is a great forum.

Pam

o

Can I save the seeds to grow again?

Yes, you should be able to.

o

• Posted by billme 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 2:04

Or plant a short row in the fall, when they will last and re-leaf without bolting past the first mild frosts. Truely delicious when cool weather comes.

o

Pam, please note that Billme is saying he uses flowers and stalks as salad additions. Except when the pak choi was very young - you probably didn't feel it was tender enough for salads.

As Violet notes (and I am learning) there are many pak choi varieties. However, all of the 4 or 5 varieties I have grown have very tender and sweet flowering stalks. Please go out to your garden and try some. You should be delighfully surprised.

Steve

o

digit: I have a whole pile I trimmed and threw away, however as of yesterday I think I have another whole pile of flowering stalks. Tee Hee. Yes I planted two rows. Next time I'll know to plant smaller and more often. I'm taking your advice and trying some stalks today in a salad.

Thanks for all the great advice. Pam

o

mamabear2,

Usually the stalks are cooked. Either quickly sauteed or quickly stir fried.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here