Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_12

ginger from root bought in grocery store

ruth_12
17 years ago

Last summer I bought a ginger root and planted it but nothing happened eventually I threw it away. Are they treated in some way not to sprout? I put it in a large pot with potting soil. Any seed company sell seeds? I looked at a Japanese seed company but no ginger, my sons use it a lot in cooking. Thanks

Comments (9)

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

If you're in zone five, it simply might not have been hot enough to keep it happy and alive. Also, sandy potting soil can work better than regular potting soil.

• glamdolly
    17 years ago

i bought some ginger recently... it was a giant one.. lol now it's sprouting & i'm wondering what i should do with it. i don't have it planted though...

i'm a horrible gardener... i'd like to get better, though... my family is made up of farmers... so... having the thumb of death is kind-of embarrassing... lol

~ Candy

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Candy,

Just get a little pot and fill it with sand and a bit of compost, or potting soil and plant the ginger.

;)

• glamdolly
    17 years ago

sand & compost?... like... what kind of sand?... and potting soil... and what do you do?... just put the ginger on the sand & cover it with potting soil.. er... *looks at you with clueless expression*... :( see?.. toldja i was a bad gardener... that's why i came here... i'm trying to learn a thing or two hundred.. :D lol

thank you though.. i appreciate your help violet :D

best wishes,
    ~ Candy

• fliptx
    17 years ago

Get some "potting mix" from a nursery or big box store, add in a little perlite to keep it aerated, fill up a big pot and place the ginger rhizome flat on top of the soil. Kind of smush it into the soil, but not too much. Leave the top of the ginger exposed. Cover with a few handfuls of mulch (I use crushed dried leaves and "native mulch") and keep it well watered and warm.

Those are the basic directions I found on the net, which I followed, and now have a nice big ginger plant. I fertilize every two weeks with about 1/3 to 1/2 dilluted strength 6-12-6 fertilizer.

{{gwi:386800}}

• glamdolly
    17 years ago

thank you fliptx. :) that is a very nice plant you have there. :D so... when do you get to eat these ginger plants?... :D lol :D

all the best
    ~ Candy

• fliptx
    17 years ago

Candy- I'm not sure. :) I think I'm supposed to wait till the tops die back in the cool weather and lift the rhizomes out of the pot. I'll post an update in a few months!

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Candy, you don't eat the plant, you eat the rhizome. You don't have to wait for the foliage to die back. If environmental cntidions are sufficient enough to support rhizome growth in the first place, then you get more rhizomes to harvest at any time.

• seedssun
    13 years ago

Ginger takes many months...around 9 months to a year.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts