Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anakaleki

taro recipes please....

Anakaleki
19 years ago

Hi, I have a HUGE crop of taro getting ready to be harvested soon and need to find as many ways as possible to eat them!!!

Comments (15)

• pepe85323
    19 years ago

Go to www.recipesource.com they have 7 recipes there. I have not tried the recipes, but it is a place to start. Recipe circus also has a braised beef recipe that uses taro root. Hope this helps.

• solanum1
    19 years ago

Just a small warning: when making a recipe using grated taro, make sure you have a variety which is free from calcium oxalate crystals... Having a mouthful of crystals is a very painful experience...
    Rose-Marie

• bellie
    19 years ago

First time in this forum. I use taro like potatoes on stew, added it with sweet potato with thankgiving dinner, use them with potatos with pot roast, add brown sugar vanilla and coconut milk with canned jack fruit bake and serve as dessert. Try these and see if you like them.The leaves are dried and can be used for a lot of things. Bellie

• girlgroupgirl
    19 years ago

Hi Bellie my pal!
    Hey, I like your tarro dessert recipie! Tell me please, how long do you bake? Do you grate it and then add it?
    My husband would LOVE this!
    I am interested in the use of tarro leaves too. I never really thought I'd want to eat tarro, but why not? They grow so easily here, and huge. Kids in my neighbourhood call them my giant collard greens!

GGG

• paperwhite
    19 years ago

An Indian Taro Recipe:

Steam the taro roots with some tumeric and tamarind. When done, peel the skin off and set aside. Saute in oil some red onion with garlic, cumin and mustard seeds. Add tomatoes and let simmer for 10 minutes, then add the steamed taro roots and some chilli powder and cook for another 10 minutes or so and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve hot with rice. I like it with lots of garlic.

• Anakaleki
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mmmm, your Indian taro recipe sounds really good. Thanks

• glorylily
    19 years ago

hi,

one of our very favourite traditional snacks are taro chips. Just slice the taro like potato crisps and deep fry in batches till crispy! you can even sprinkle with sugar while frying if you like.

cheers!

• ranikabani
    19 years ago

A good site for recipes is www.recipezaar.com

• leiahi
    19 years ago

try steaming the heck out of it,peel and dip in sweetened condensed milk.

• hawaiisam
    19 years ago

I substitute taro leaves for spinach leaves in lasagna. You should check out the recipes in Hawaii. Do a search for Sam Choy, Hawaiian Electric and other Hawaiian recipe sites. sam

• nlin0273
    19 years ago

peel the skin of the taro. Steam the mother out of it. Mash it until it looks like a purple mashed potato and then add cooked ham.

You can make ice cream out of mashed taro, too.

• Anakaleki
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, I bought a bamboo steamer and cooked chunks of taro in it (on banana leaves). They were good but they kind of soaked up the taste of the bamboo wood; maybe that goes away with use.

• Cabbage_King
    19 years ago

You might try Kulolo, a traditional hawaiian dessert. There are several recipes available on the web; one variant is below. -Ted

Ingredients:
    1 large taro root, grated
    3 coconuts, grated
    1 cup water
    2 cups coconut water
    2 tsp brown sugar

Directions:
    Mix taro with coconut meat.
    Add water, coconut water, and brown sugar.
    Put in baking pan.
    Top with butter.
    Bake 1 hour in moderate oven (350 degrees for most).

You may wish to partially cook the taro before grating. Cut in chunks and boil slightly. Do not overcook.

• wpirvine
    19 years ago

Taro with dried shrimps
    Peel the taro skin, cut into big chunks or slice into thick slices. Get half handful of dried shrimps, You also need some chopped onion and garlic, salt and white pepper. Soaked the dried shrimps in warm water till kind of soft, rinse them then diced them a little bit. Sautee dried shrimp with couple table spoon of oil in medium heat. Add onion and garlic, continue sautee till slightly brown. Add in Taro chunks and stir all the ingredients for a couple minutes. Add white pepper, salt and enough water just almost cover the taro. Cover the pan and simmer until the taro is sofe like potato. Serve with hot rice.

Taro rice
    With the same ingredients as above, After you sautee all the ingredients, add enough salt and white pepper, add extra couple spoonful of oil and soy sauce, pour all these ingredience on top of your uncook rice (prepare the rice as usual for cooking, include water), You may want to add a little more water (1/8 cup). Go ahead cook the rice as usual. A rice cooker will safe all your time.

• tevita
    14 years ago

When you harvest you gonna get a lot of small ones! Don't throw them away! They are the best ones. Clean them off with your garden hose and boil them in salted water. The cooking time depends on the variety. The small kalo is easy to peal after its been cooked.
    One easy way to eat it is to heat op some coconut cream, stir in brown sugar to make a glaze. Toss the cooked and pealed kalo in the glaze and serve.
    Don't forget to eat the leaf too!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living