Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of Pea for pea shoots

Posted by AgtJenny24 7 NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 22:29

So I realized that you need a lot of pea plants to grow enough peas for a decent plate of peas and I frankly don't have the space especially when growing in 5 gal buckets to plant that many peas and still be able to grow other vegs. So I decided that this fall I will be planting peas for pea shoots since they have been quite expensive in Chinese supermarkets lately $3.50 to $5 a pound! And because I can space the plants a lot closer together.

But my problem is, what kind peas should I be planting? Those ment to become snow peas? snap peas? Has anyone tried planting for pea shoots? Any recommendations on what type of pea gives a great tasting shoot? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of Pea for pea shoots

I don't have experience with pea shoots before except maybe eating it once, but I looked around and found that:
  • you can sprout any ol' dried supermarket soup peas
  • some people recommend using tall varieties because it's easier to get shoots and tendrils: Oregon Sugar Pod and Cascadia
  • a couple of people commented that they can't taste the difference between pea shoots varieties: sugar snaps vs non-sugar snaps, etc.
I would suggest using whatever you have on hand or can get cheaply and easily and maybe planting a couple of different types to see if you can taste any difference yourself.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 22:50

I think you can use any kind of pea, but sugar peas & yard beans( a running southern pea, sssssssssssshhh do not tell anyone:-) are the only one I have tried.

o

Snow peas seem to put out some of the thickest shoots. They bounce back pretty quickly after a picking, too. I've been surprised, though, when dry seed from some of my soup peas fell to the ground & germinated in the Fall... some of those young shoots were tasty.

o

Below is a link to an interesting thread on growing pea shoots.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea Shoots

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here