Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achang89

Growing Kabocha

achang89
9 years ago

This is my first year growing Kabocha. The plants are healthy and start to crawl over the bed to outside areas. There are a few things I'd like your opinions:

1. Spacing. The rows are about 4-5' apart and each plant about 2' apart. I realize that the space is tight. It is too late to transplant, so the only way is to take some plants out. The good thing is that, there is open space beyond the bed. So the plants can crawl over the grass area, or I can yank out the grass and let the plants to continue to grow. Not sure if I can still keep all the plants.

2. How many fruits to keep. I plan to hand pollinate the plants. So how many baby fruits I should keep? Or I should just let the plants grow on their own?

3. So far, the plants have been left alone, by wild rabbits, deers, ground hogs, squirrels. I just wonder if any of them would bother the plants when they set fruits?

Since it takes about 45 days for the fruits to mature, I'm looking for end of August. With month long curing, the harvest should be late October. Does this sound right?

I plan to use the bed for winter garlic. That would be November....

Comments (3)

Sponsored