Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone grown dwarf bokchoy ?

Posted by freshfields Ph (lettuceentertain@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 10:16

Some call it NAIPAI, some called it dwarf bok choy however
it seems that my dwarf bok choy is not living up to its name ... being dwarf

when i tried to harvest it early, i find the petiole too small. when i tried to harvest the "heart" after 37 days, the heart, in order for it to be commercially viable, is too big to be called dwarf bok choy.

that is the proper spacing ? do you direct sow or transplent them ?

cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone grown dwarf bokchoy ?

You've waited a long time for an answer. I wish I could help. All I can suggest is to investigate different varieties. Also, find out about the correct growing season.

Good luck.

Jim

o

freshfields,

There are many, many varieties of dwarf bok choy. You must consider your seed source. Where did you get yours?

Direct sowing or transplanting should have little effect on the end result. Temperature, sun light, and water can have quite a bit of influence. I would space 6 inches apart.

As Jim said, if you don't like the variety you are growing, try others. I usually grow out at least 6 - 8 varieties.

o

How big did it grow? Regular bok choy can grow to more than a foot tall. My dwarf bok choy grew to be half the height before I harvested them. If you let them grow, they'll bolt and the flower stalks can be two feet high or more.

I directly sow the seeds and space them about six inches apart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here