Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Moringa Stenopetala in Zone 9b?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 11:50

Hi! I got zero response in the California forum, so I'm trying here. Fingers crossed somebody is growing this tree.

We started a row of Moringa Oleiferra last September, and found out there is a huge boulder preventing the growth of a few trees. BUT, 2 are 8 feet tall, flowering and bearing pods.

I really couldn't wait to harvest those leaves for the health benefits, but discovered they are a pain to strip from the stems. Not as bad as thyme, but along that line. I still do it, and they taste delicious in salads. So far that's as adventurous as I've become with this tree. This morning I tasted a raw pod about 7" long. Green bean with a little spicy kick. Not bad raw. Probably better sauteed with garlic...

Anyway, I read that Moringa Stenopetala has much bigger leaves that actually have a better flavor. It's slower to grow, more drought friendly, but doesn't like cold. I ordered seeds on Ebay, soaked them for 48 hours, and planted some next to a concrete wall for reflected warmth in winter, and this morning one has sprouted. It's just adorable, and I'm looking forward to the differences.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Do any of you have experience with this variety?

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Moringa Stenopetala in Zone 9b?

• Posted by xman 7/8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:11

Hi Suzi,

I hope you get some response here, but I have noticed very limited activity in this forum too. I have not grown Moringa Stenopetala, but have read that it is very similar to growing Moringa Olifera. However, I have read the Olifera is a little more cold tolerant, and flowers quicker.

xman

o

xman,

Thanks so much! I hope someone grows it in my zone. Two have sprouted now. Your area is colder than mine. I'd be happy to send you seeds. I bought 50 and soaked about 9, so I do have leftovers and only want 3 trees.

I may erect mini greenhouses over the two that are now sprouted this winter. Still waiting for the third.

I figure if figs, citrus, macadamias, guavas, avocados, etc can grow here unprotected, the Stenopetala will be fine too, but I will protect till established.

The only reason I want it is because I'm so lazy, I hate stripping the tiny leaves of the Olieferra!

Thanks for your reply!

Lazy Susan

o

• Posted by xman 7/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 11:33

Hi Suzi,

Thank you for your kind offer, but I would like to pass :)
I have about 6 Moringa Olifera trees in 32 gallon trash containers that I drag into my garage every winter along with other tropical trees. I keep these trees in the garage for 3 months under lights. I have been doing this for the last couple of years, and these containers are so heavy that this year I tore my shoulder muscles dragging these in and out of the garage. I swore to myself that I will not get any more containiers that I have to drag indoors. I still can't lift my left hand, so I am sticking to my intentions for now.

I use the leaves of the Olifera from 2 of my trees, I agree it is a pain to strip the leaves.

xman

Here is a link that might be useful: helpful-tips-for-harvesting-Moringa-leaves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here