Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melati_gw

Pandanus amaryllifolius roxb

Lee
21 years ago

I'm looking for Pandanus amaryllifolius roxb , if anyone know where to get them pls lmk.

Comments (60)

• chilipadi
    21 years ago

Happy New Year everyone!
    Would greatly appreciate any input on the best soil mix for propagating pandan from bare root; also, do you cover the roots completely up to where the shoots/leaves meet the main stem/trunk and do the roots have to be trimmed/cut back?
    Finally,has anyone had any success growing pandan in water?

Thnx a bunch! Cheers, chilipadi

• chilipadi
    21 years ago

Has anyone had any success growing bare root/full grown pandan in water? Just curious & wish to experiment w/hydroponics. Thank you in anticipation. Sue

• Shantihhh
    21 years ago

Just returned from a month long holiday in Thailand and once again am in search of this wonderful plant. It is so wonderful for the fragrance and wrapping chicken in to cook.

I am in CA which makes it difficult to ship in a plant :-(

There use to be a source for some tropical plants, but they moved from Menlo Park to Hawaii.

I have heard there is a source for this as well as Chap loo which I am also searching in Chula Vista, CA.

Mary-Anne

• Violet_Z6
    21 years ago

Mary-Anne,

Are the sources posted within this thread not what you need?

• jcheng
    20 years ago

Hello,

Like Mary Anne, I have been trying to obtain the Pandan plant in California but have had no success as well.

This is because California does not allow the shipping of plants into the state. However, seeds are allowed to be shipped in.

As such, if anyone has any contacts for the Pandanus Amaryllifolius/odorus/odoratissimus plant (in California) or seeds (outside California), please let us know.

Thank you very much.

• exop
    20 years ago

FYI, Pandanus amaryllifolius is one of those long-domesticated plants which is not propagated by seed (it either dosn't produce seed, or produces only under such rare and specific conditions that no-one sees it). Rather, it spreads by sending out suckers. I've heard that you can take a cutting from the top of the plant too.

Best - exop

• neech7
    20 years ago

Can Pandan be grown as a year round indoor plant? I live in Seattle, which is probably too cold most of the year to grow it outdoors.

• orion13hk
    20 years ago

Hi, has anyone in California found out where to get this Pandan plant? I have been looking for this too. Thanks.

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

Shantihhh, jcheng, orion13hk,

I think the closest you're going to come is the California Rare Fruit Growers, Inc. If they don't have exactly what you're needing (sometimes the cultivars get mixed up so double check), they may be able to point you in the right direction if you contact them.

• Shantihhh
    20 years ago

Thanks for all the leads, but even on rare fruit growers list of which I am a member no one in California seems to grow it.

I have asked at numerous tropical plant nurseriesin CA, but have failed to find it.

I did obtain chaploo/shaploo from a Thai fellow who have brought some back from Thailand.

I use both in Thai cuisine.

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

Shantihhh,

Try contacting John Wooten at wootensproduce@hawaiian.net. He can ship from and within California. I'm not sure if he has the exact variety but you can always inquire.

• pattree2000
    20 years ago

Has anyone in CA be able to acquire Tuey or Pandan leave plant? If so, please let me know the source.

• meixue
    20 years ago

I ordered one from Thaiherbs. Hasnt come yet. Will post when it arrives as to condition, size, health, etc.
    Meixue

• meixue
    19 years ago

I got my two plants in the mail today. They came very healthy and in good shape. One was a small 6 inch baby and the other a more mature plant but still not big enough for me to use the leaves. Well I guess I could but think I'll wait till they get thicker. I'll have to look for some thai sticky sweet rice recipies now.
    Meixue

• meixue
    19 years ago

However, I'd suggest buying from another source instead. Much cheaper. Contact me for details.
    Meixue

• vibaik
    19 years ago

Dear Meixue, would you please help me to get Pandanus amaryllifolius roxb tree to plant in my garden. I live in Bay Area California and have been wanting to grow this beautifully - fragrant tree in my garden for years. I hope you would be so kind as to let me know a reasonable place that I can purchase this tree at an affordable price since I am far from being wealthy by any stretch of imagination but absolutely love and crazy about this tree. The tree leaves can be used to prepared several delicious Asian dishes, especially desserts. I am very grateful for whatever help you would offer. thank you
    vibaik

• meixue
    19 years ago

I dont know if i'm allowed to post messages recommending one or another nursery so best e mail me directly for the info. What would I do if I got booted off of gardenweb? That would be a sad day in sesame street indeed. I will e mail you Vibaik. My plants arent doing well. THey turned yellow. I had them in full sun so now I've moved them in my bathroom inirect light from the window only. They still look bad. I'll have to wait and see what happens. Thanks
    Michelle

• meixue
    19 years ago

Just updating, the big pandan is green now but has not grown hardly at all. The smaller pandan is still lathargic and yellow. Hasnt grown. I cant find info on how to fertilize these. I'm tired of looking at the yellow one though so I think I will try some ironite this weekend and hopefully in a few weeks the plant will get better,
    Thanks
    Meixue

• Eggo
    19 years ago

Meixue,
    hehe..booted, I've been booted off a few times, quiet..don't tell anyone. I don't have experience with needing to fertize pandan, but one thing for sure is that it likes shade. I don't think it likes full sun until it is very large and mature.

• virgilevetts
    18 years ago

Does anybody feel like thowing caution to the wind and sending me a couple of pandan barerooted pups in the post to New Zealand? The plant is impossible to obtain in NZ and legit importation is vastly expensive. Im sure I could reciprocate in some way, gosh even money if you like!

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Recipes for anyone interested here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pandan Recipes

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

How are your plants growing for you?

• erafazila
    17 years ago

I'm from Singapore and living in NY, never thought that I would go crazy trying to find these plants stated below when I moved to the US... Always bumped into them while living in Singapore but never thought much about them... Since finding these spices/herbs/leaves difficult I'm thinking that growing them would be nice to be able to keep cooking Malay dishes. Well, I've yet to wait for response from thaiherbs.com to see if they have pandanus odorus plant avail for sale... or perhaps anyone here could sell me a plant?

I manage to buy Kaffir plants, galangga plant online and trying to propagate lemongrass myself, but somehow it's so difficult to find pandanus odorus online for sale...

Thank you & regards.

• jadeleaf
    17 years ago

Got the plant from Well Sweep last week but i can see the leaves turning yellow. I live in NY and i kept the plant indoors by the window and luckyly the weather is turning so i can give it some bright sunlight.....but still..
    Anyone has tips on how to take care of it?

• erafazila
    17 years ago

Jadeleaf, Whereabout is Well Sweep? I'm in Rome, NY..

I've tried sending email to thaiherbs but email cannot be sent, email is not valid, and tried calling but couldn't get through either. Anyone has any other resources where to get the plant from?

If the weather outside isn't suitable perhaps you could use grow light or full spectrum fluorescent especially these kinda lights are useful during winter.

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

erafazila,

Did you try the sources I posted above?

;)

• erafazila
    17 years ago

My husband managed to get hold of well-sweep herb farm... they have it and we're ordering it soon... thank you all for the information given..

;D

• jadeleaf
    17 years ago

Era!
    Glad to hear you got the plant. Mine have sprouted 2 new babies but some of the parent plant leaves are turning yellow. Something must be up. Gonna do more research. If you come across any information I would appreciate it =)

• bibik
    17 years ago

Like erafazila I am also from Singapore and looking high & low for the pandan plant.
    Anyone knows where I can buy or order from in Florida?
    Thanks.

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

bibik,

Did you try to search the forum first?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sources

• bibik
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Yes, tried forum & also checked some of the links mentioned but to no avail. Will keep hunting & hoping. Thanks.

• whitelotus
    17 years ago

Hi There,

I just bought 2 plants from Alan Smith, he was advertising in the Florida market buletin. The plants are in 1 gallon pots and are very healthy. Here is the e mail from him with information:

his e mail is: asmith2@tampabay.rr.com

I have several nice 25"H - 1 gal @ $25.00ea and a few larger @$35.00 ,2 gal grafted Kaffir lime $50.00 and a few select Citrus are available in 2 ga.Should your friend wish to call me prior to coming around at 727 686 3110, please. Cordially Alan

A friend who was down there brought the plants back for me and they were nicely wrapped and came with a little packet of plant food

• bibik
    17 years ago

Thank you very much Whitelotus. I've just check the Florida Market Bulletin and wrote Mr Smith an email.
    Oh yes! I'll willingly drive across Florida if I have to for that plant ~ mmm, already thinking of future pandan-wrapped chicken, fragrant rice, pandan cake ~ :)

• is5711_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Dear All,

I'm from Malaysia. I have huge stock of pandan. I'm willing to suppy outside Malaysia .For more info please contact me via email add is5711@yahoo.com

• gimc
    16 years ago

Hi everyone
    If you are still looking for Pandan leaves found it at Slyvia Gordan and Aloha Tropicals.

• thisisme
    16 years ago

I check the places listed above and found that none of them had any Pandan in stock for immediate shipping other than the last one on my list which was Allen Smith.

I called Allen and spoke to him at length and found him to be friendly and informative and greatly enjoyed our conversation and he never made me feel rushed.

I purchased a large Pandan plant from Allen Smith that arrived 10/05/07 for $ 35.00 plus $ 5.00 for packaging Plus $ 31.45 USPS Priority Mail for a total of $ 71.45. Allen does not accept credit cards or ATM cards or PayPal so I sent him a Wal-Mart Money Order.

The plant arrived safely and well packaged. The plant was large and healthy with several pups starting around its base which I will plant in their own pots this coming spring.

Allan also sent along bunch of fresh Pandan leaves wrapped separately for me to use which was a wonderful bonus. I used the Pandan leaves to make a large Pandan Chicken recipe and Pandan Rice recipe that I had found on line. I had planned on the leftovers lasting throughout the week but it was so good it did not last through the following day as everyone loved it and wanted to eat it every meal until it was gone.

I have now come to the conclusion that I need a small garden of Pandan plants to satisfy my family of four and look forward to those pups growing up into mature plants.

Thank you Allen.

THISISME

• jonyl
    13 years ago

I'm from sydney and my grandmother just got her prized pandan plant. I was looking around for other growers and get some tips. I found some tips on this site which help a little http://cinnamonvision.blogspot.com/2010/08/pandanus-amaryllifolius.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://cinnamonvision.blogspot.com/2010/08/pandanus-amaryllifolius.html

• jeici
    13 years ago

Anyone successfully grown a Pandan plant in the bay area? I just got some plants and for now they seem to be turning yellow. I put them in water and waiting to see some changes before planting them. Let me know what you have been doing.

• asisah
    13 years ago

Hi Jeici,

Once your plant started turning yellow, it is very hard to revive it. I had the same experience you are experiencing now. It finally die. Sorry that is not the good news you want to hear. Over the years I killed quite a few of them. I now have several pots of them growing really well, uhh finally.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

There is an eBay seller with some Pandanus amaryllifolius plants for sale right now. I wish I had the money to buy one right now but don't.

Here is a link to the auction.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay seller of Pandanus amaryllifolius Plants

• meixue88_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi all, its been a while since I posted on the pandan. The pandan plants I bought in this post died. I bought another two bare root about 6 months ago from Gardin's nuresery but those two died also after I planted them in pots. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm not willing to invest in unpotted/bare root plants any longer. I'm researching who has this plant that they can ship potted. If anyone knows a source please let me know. As usual the potted plants are quite expensive, the best I could find was $35 for a one gallon not including any shipping charges. Another I found was $35 for a 2 gallon pot but $25 for shipping so $60 for a two gallon potted plant. If I were assured the plant would survive and grow once it arrived I might splurge and buy one but these plants in my hands seem to be fragile.

If anyone can help with maybe a farmers market or Asian supermarket that has these for sale please let me know. I am in the Bay area SF area and willing to drive as far as San Jose to obtain a potted plant.
    Thanks
    Meixue

• gopals1
    13 years ago

I just got my pandan too, and I've been reading up heaps on how to care for it. I found some good info that might benefit you here http://www.mypandan.com/pandan-care/

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.mypandan.com

• Jsmith1776
    12 years ago

If you really want to know how to grow the plant, you can try reading the forum at the following link. I bought a plant in Houston area from a nursery called JRN Nursery on January 15, 2011. The owner will not sell a plant with branches or pups in soil, but now I have over 20 plants from the initial one. I am stopping because I only have 3 friends that wants it. It grows like weed. I keep it in a pot. I love the aroma that it gives off when crushed. I put it in my vacuum cleaner to diffuse the aroma around the house while I vacuum.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow Pandanus amaryllifolius

• smallfern
    12 years ago

Jsmith, I'm sending you a PM.

• Jsmith1776
    12 years ago

Smallfern,

If you sent me a PM, I have not seen it because I don't know where to retrieve it.

• Jsmith1776
    12 years ago

Smallfern,

LOL, I never check my email. I just checked and saw your PM. Send me another PM with your email address, please.

• tey157
    11 years ago

Looking for this plant or pups. Clues anyone?

• paulinetxfc
    8 years ago

Jsmith1776, I know it has been 4 years since your post concerning your pandanus (screwpine). I am interested in getting a pup and I live in Houston. If you read this can you contact me? I cannot figure out how to pm you!

• Tamiya #1 (AU, SG, MY & ZZZzzzz...)
    8 years ago

All Ye temperate zone Pandan growers... at what temperature do you bring it indoors to overwinter?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living