Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shark Fin Melon/Cucurbita Ficifolia fruit aborting

Posted by richard_505 6b Victoria BC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 14:23

I planted 3 of these in my garden this year and I'm seeing a lot of the melons abort after being pollinated and growing about 2.5x it's original size.

I've had to cut around 8 of them off because they just stop growing and end up turning brown and going soft on the blossom end.

On the attached picture, the blossom end is discolored brown and dry with a foamy feel while the stem end is white, firm, and 'wet'.

Any idea as to what would cause this? Weather? Lack of nutrients?

The good news is that one didn't abort and is about the size of my fist.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shark Fin Melon/Cucurbita Ficifolia fruit aborting

Well, I don't see nay developing seeds. So likely insufficient pollen grains were present fro successful fertilization. Perhaps also environmental glitch at flowering?

o
RE: Shark Fin Melon/Cucurbita Ficifolia fruit aborting - more

Here's info how to grow it, including suitable temps and more
http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Cucurbita+ficifolia

Here is a link that might be useful: how to grow it

o

I don't think pollinating is the problem since im using about 3 males (each loaded with pollen) for every female but I'll keep that in mind for the next few weeks. I'm still waiting to see if the 6 small ones will grow but they've been stagnate for a few weeks.

o

I think the melon shown is too young and seeds have not developed. Shark Fin melon is a winter squash, IMO>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here