Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playful_gardener

Vining Okra???

playful_gardener
19 years ago

Hi everyone. I have posted this question on the vegetable growing board but then I came across this forum and though maybe someone here could help. For the first time I am growing vining okra. The pods are about 8 - 10 inches long and heavy ribbed. Does anyone know when I should pick this and how do I cook this? Taste?

Thanks for your help,

Sandy

Comments (11)

• Innoma
    19 years ago

I answered this question already in the Vegetable forum, but I'll toss in a couple extra things here...

8-10 inches is pretty long for most okra and chances are it has become tough by now (although sometimes they manage to remain good enough to use at larger sizes, but that tends to vary according to variety).

Personally, I wouldn't let any of them get past 6 inches at most or you end up with tough okra. Okra off the plant is firm, but you should be able to cut them by pushing a knife though them; if you find you have to saw through them, you know the okra has become too tough.

For cooking, it all depends on what you like. There are several dishes from India that feature okra and its used in Gumbo and soups, but my favorite is Southern Fried okra, which is really easy:

Cut the okra is 1/4 segments or so, season with salt and pepper, coat in flour and cornmeal, and fry 'em up! Pretty simple. Some people also like to batter-coat and fry okra, and that's good too, although for me, its a bit of trouble.

• girlgroupgirl
    19 years ago

Isn't vining okra and Eastern Indian vegetable? I have eaten it curried. YUM!

GGG

• chinsb
    19 years ago

Wow, I'm so envious. I tried to grow them from seed last year and it got too late in the season (Boston area), so never got the fruit, but PLENTY of vine! I grew up eating Chinese okra, but only during holidays as it's an expensive vegetable. I've seen them longer than 10" - nothing wrong with long ones. The best way (actually the only way) I know how to prepare them is to stirfry them. Peel the okra with a potato peeler - you won't be able to peel all the grooves, but get as close as you can without losing all the meat of the vegetable. Cut into bite size chunks and stirfry in a hot wok or saucepan with a bit of oil, ginger, and garlic. Only needs a bit of salt to taste. Stirfry some chicken and mix it. Enjoy!

• ranikabani
    19 years ago

I like to cut them into thin slices and saute them in butter. Add salt as needed and when they are almost cooked I add a bit of parmesan cheese to it. Sometimes, I just saute it in butter and add salt and cayenne pepper and leave out the cheese.

I've also added it to curries and to stews.

• ChouCream
    19 years ago

I believe vining okra is Angled Luffa. It's not an Okra at all but a curcurbit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angled Luffa

• ranikabani
    19 years ago

Where are the seeds to this vining okra???

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Ranikabani,

What you're looking for is angled luffa gourd, aka Chinese Okra.

The botanical name is: Luffa acutangula [Chinese: see gwa].

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds has seeds available here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Okra Recipes

• wjlldl_aol_com
    12 years ago

I used to grow vining okra but due to moving I have misplaced my seed. Will some one who might have some seed get in cantact with me.

• carolync1
    12 years ago

Willhite sells seed for several edible gourds from the Indian subcontinent. I wonder if Surekha (Indian Ridge Hybrid) might be Angled Luffa?

Here is a link that might be useful: Willhite gourds (some edible)

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Vining/Chinese okra is applied to both Luffa cylindrica and Luffa acutangular. Best selections available from Evergreen Seed or Kitazawa

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services