Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
harvesting taro root...

Posted by Anakaleki z9 S.E. Tex (nelumbo_nucifera@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Jul 22, 04 at 15:46

Does anyone know if you have to let taro "cure" in the ground like you do with potatoes and sweet potatoes? Or can you just dig them up and cut off the green part? If you do have to let them cure, does that mean I have to wait until winter after the tops have been killed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: harvesting taro root...

• Posted by bellie 7-B ..Va. Beach (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 22, 04 at 16:49

You have to harvest them in the fall lke potatoes or sweet potatoes.Happy gardening!! bellie

o

OK, and how would that be? Do you let the foliage die (from frost) and how long do you leave them in the ground?

o

If your climate is right, I think you can harvest any time, as long as the tuber is large enough. Growing taro for harvesting leaves is different than growing taro for harvesting tubers. Don't take leaves from plants you are growing for tubers. And on plants you grow to eat the leaves, you only want to take about the 2nd or 3rd leaves from the center. The older ones don't taste as good.

If you harvest a tuber, you can still replant the top to grow another plant. Here's how... You leave the stems attached to the tuber, but cut off the leaves. You leave about the top half inch of tuber attached to the stems, kind of like cutting off a carrot top and leaving the carrot 'shoulders' attached. You then allow the cut surface on the tuber to dry and form a skin for a few days. You can then replant the top and stems, and it will sprout new plants.
With the tuber you have left for eating, you peel it, quarter it, and cook til tender in salted water. Wear gloves while handling to avoid the oxalate crystals from irritating your hands.

o

Oh, I know! I have to peel them under running water to keep my hands from getting ichy. And if you hold them the right way, only letting them touch the thicker skin on the inside of your hand, it's not as bad. Although gloves would be easier : )

They were selling some red taro stems at the market and I saw that they included the top of the corm so I planted them and now I have some unknown variety growing with bright crimson stems (that I'm guessing are edible).

You wouldn't happen to know what variety or kind they are?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here