Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edamame/Soybeans when to pick

Posted by fert1 7 SC (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 19:36

I know I saw a thread on here somewhere that said how to tell when your edamame soybeans are ready to be picked, but now I can't find it. Anyone care to share tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edamame/Soybeans when to pick

Harvest soybeans the moment you see the bottom leaves start to turn yellow but the rest of the plant is green. The entire plant will turn rapidly so don't waste any time because the beans will be too tough to eat.

Pull off all the pods and immediately freeze or cook by immersing in boiling water for five minutes (same for frozen beans). Strain and sprinkle salt on the pods. Then suck the beans out of the pod. They go great with beer or other cool beverage of your choice.

o

I am first time veggie gardener, so I had this same question and found the same answer about the yellowing leaves. Just to be sure, I picked two beans and boiled them in salt water for 10 minutes to check. They were great, so I harvested them all.

o

No need to boil them for 10 minutes. 10 minutes is too long... you cook away nutrients. it's already fresh from the garden, you want to maintain the integrity of the freshness of any garden grown vegetable whenever possible.

o

I find steaming them for 4-5 minutes works well.

o

Why do soybeans need to be boiled or steamed? For several years I've grown a few rows of soybeans and have eaten the beans raw. Nice nutty flavor.

Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here