Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bitter melon is ripe too young

Posted by colhan tx (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 21:52

I need help to find the root cause and cure for this problem:

I have a big patch of bitter melon and I've been enjoy the fruits, but strating about 2 weeks ago, the young bitter melon (the fruits, not the vines) turn yellow when they're only a finger long.
Thanks in advance for any helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bitter melon is ripe too young

What is root cause?

I do not think the cause is the root.

o

I see a big empty block, what is it meant to be?

Uhm, maturing at small size? I wonder if it's too hot or too much sun?

o

Other than the temperature guavalane mentioned, could there be a change in pollination pattern? For example, sudden lack of male flowers blooming at the same time or bees?

It's also possible this is due to soil nutrition and moisture.

o

One of the reasons I think is excessive heat and at the same time scarcity of water.

gardendawgie,
it seems colhan is looking for main reason for melons ripening too young.

o

Few of bitter melons in my garden are yellowing too but at the earlier time when they are small in size.
Pic. of yellow bitter melon.Bitter melons

I believe this may be due to lack of pollinators as a result of excessive heat and lack of regular watering.I believe it is not due to early ripening of the fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here