Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Luffas aborting after 2-5 luffas produced per vine

Posted by stevelau1911 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 1:47

I have a problem where after so many fruits usually anywhere from 2-5 fruits are produced, the rest of the fruits after that are aborted. I also fertilize well with NPKs, calcium, magnesium, and azomite for the micro-nutrients.

The soil is very well inoculated with myccorhizae, well watered, lots of manure, and the trellis is about 1500 square feet with only 7 plants on it so there's enough space. By the way, some vines are aready over 25ft long with over a dozen runners with the base of each vine exceeding 1 inch in diameter already.

I'm trying to foliar feed them, and I've also resorted to taking off some of the leaves, and hand pollonating, but it's still only allowing my plants to support only 40-50 fruits each at any given time. I want all the fruits that are produced to turn into edible harvests.

Is there any possible way for me to make it so that none of these fruits are aborted, or is this something that is inbuilt into the genes of the plant where it is designed to overproduce so only some of them are selected to grow and mature?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Luffas aborting after 2-5 luffas produced per vine

Sounds like too much fertilizer. I just googled how to grow them. I have seeds, but I never got them planted. They want fertilizer one time when you plant them, then you are supposed to wait until they start getting light green before you fertilize. They want lots of water and they don't want to be planted thickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here