Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilhydro

Vietnamese veggies/fruits

lilhydro
18 years ago

I would like to grow some vietnamese veggies and fruits, but i'm not sure what types of plants there are. Could anyone please reccomend some good vietnamese veggies/fruits to grow?

Thanks-Curtis

Comments (4)

• baci
    18 years ago

Some of the fruits, vegetables, herbs are:
    Vietnamese spinach (Malabar, Buffalo spinach)
    Hottuynia cordata or LizardÂs tail
    Small & large taro
    Chinese yucca
    White yam
    Various greens, specialty mustards, Chrysanthemum greens
    Possibly spiny chayote
    Jicima; combine with carrots & marinated for a garnish.
    Yard long beans
    Specialty taro stems
    Specialty peppers, squashes, including obo & hubbard varieties. You might also see Thai eggplants, such as the India, Kermit or purple prince varieties.

Some of the fruits found include:
    Jackfruit
    Dragon fruit
    There are certain annona species native to Vietnam, but you will not find them here.
    Probably pumello
    Imported tamarind
    Rambutan
    Specialty papayas, guavas
    Litchi, Logans

There are also many herbs & others:

Shitaki mushrooms
    Water chestnuts
    Eryngium foetidum Long coriander
    Thai basil
    Rice paddy herb: Limnophila aromatica
    Spearmint
    Chinese celery
    Galangal, turmeric (orange; possibly yellow)
    Thai basil
    Shiso (red & purple)
    Burdock
    Lemon grass (Cymbopogon citrate)
    Fish mint (Houttuynia cordata)
    Vietnamese coriander (Polygonum odoratum) Some call this rau ram, but it has a different name in the markets. There are plan & variegated varieties
    Sorrel

If you want to grow a garden with these plants, you can start most of them from grocery store produce. Plants you can not start may be sold at the stores.

• mingtea
    18 years ago

sorry, but that fruit list won't grow unless you have a greenhouse or a lot of space in your home!

there are small species of papayas that would be practical to grow, and you can grow jujubees and kumquats, too, as well as "chocolate vine," akebia quinata. ("chinese five star" is another name).
    as for veggies, i think most of that list will do fine at varying times of the year. if you're in portland, check out either uwajimaya or An-Dong market for produce you can start. Vietnamese coriander (rau ram) will root in water and grow like a weed, and even lemon grass (catch it on the day it's shipped in and pick one with a lot of base) will root in water in a couple weeks. both those stores, as well as many local nurseries sell asian vegetable seeds.
    the seed i haven't had luck with is yard-long beans, but i have to admit, i probably don't keep as close an eye on them as i should--slugs get 'em.

remember cruciferous veggies (gai lan, tsa choy, etc.) will taste best when sown and grown in early spring/late summer. in the spring, you can buy a good variety of asian greens as 6-pack starts even at the local bi-mart and fred meyer stores.

-ming

• tey157
    15 years ago

There are a lot of veggies that can be grown.
    {{gwi:386492}}

• tey157
    15 years ago

{{gwi:387859}}