Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobakjuk

What Asian vegetables can I grow in Michigan?

hobakjuk
14 years ago

We just bought a house in mid-Michigan, and it has a vegetable patch in the back. We are thinking of growing Asian vegetables, but are not sure what varieties of the following plants can be grown: bok choy, pak choy, japanese cucumbers, bitter gourd (bitter melon), winter squash, korean squash, korean radish, perilla (sesame leaves) and thai basil. We would appreciate some suggestions.

In addition, may I know which online retailer do you recommend for me to get good quality Asian Vegetable seeds? Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (5)

• kawaiineko_gardener
    14 years ago

Hello I live in Michigan as well. Where in Michigan do you live? I'm trying to grow vegetables myself via container
    gardening.

As far as a good retailer that offers a wide variety of Asian vegetable seeds and are reputable I don't of any stores in Michigan that really stock a decent variety of the seed varieties you're looking for.

However I do know of an online store that specializes exclusively in the sales of asian vegetable seeds.

I will give you the link. The name of the seed retailer
    is Kitazawa Seed.

I know you can grow daikon radish in Michigan; it matures very quickly (about a month to 45 days depending on the variety you get). To my knowledge it's also called icicle radish and if you look hard enough you should be able to find a seed store or hardware store that carries this.

White radish likes cool weather and hates hot weather.
    If it becomes too hot it will bolt which essentially means it will start to create flowers. This will make the radish pithy and very spicy.

Unfortunately regarding the other varieties of vegetables
    you want to grow, I can't really help you there as I've never grown them myself.

However here is the link to the seed company I was talking about:

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/

• mauirose
    14 years ago

Check out Evergreen Seeds as well, link below.

Bok choy is really easy to grow and can be used in 30 days or less from my experience. Maybe you have time for a fall planting?

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Seeds

• namfon
    14 years ago

I have had good experience with Evergreen Seeds as well.

They have many types of Asian Brassicas/ Cabbages Bok choy, Pak Choy etc .. They do best planted in August or early September, in Michigan it tends to go from April frosts to Too - Hot - for Bok Choy in relatively few weeks, so fall is genreally best for them.

Evergreen has Bitter Melon from several countries and they grow well, if you get them off to a warm start ( may need to cover til early - mid June ) These like 80+ F and lots of water. I grow them on a 7 - 8' trellis.

Perilla can become invasive if you let it go to seed. This also seems to grow better if planted in summer ( July ) and grows well in September til frost.

Japanese and Korean seeds do well for us in Michigan as well, we have similar climates ( especially August - November )

HTH Nam

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Seed companies I have done business with and would recommend that carry at least some Asian veggies are:

Territorial Seed
    Johnny's
    Burpee

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Just check the FAQ for this forum for Asian Vegetable Seed Sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Vegetable Forum FAQ

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner